Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fenderless '54 Ford TRUCK comes to life!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Some of you may remember this post:

Original post...

I proposed the idea of taking a '54 Ford truck cab, narrowing it, chopping it, and sectioning it, and making a badass rod out of it. Yes, it would take a LOT of body work, but I thought it would look really cool. Django was nice enough to do this badass photochop for me.

[​IMG]

So, I proceeded to make one, though in 1:24th scale. Here are the results. Some of the pictures are a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, as I said, it was chopped, narrowed (to scale) about a foot, and sectioned. Custom firewall. Bed narrowed and shortened quite a lot (and after seeing Brewsers truck at the Roundup, I had to add the little bedside fins). Coil sprung in the rear, suicide front end. One-off grill shell. And to top it off, an EIGHT carbed hemi with straight zoomies, chrome reverses and some piecrust whitewall slicks. Now, to make another in 1:1 size...

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I have loved f-100's since I was a kid and have owned 4 of them - the latest has sat in my driveway for years but will someday be my hotrod opus. Anyway, from a guy who has spent countless hours trying figure out how to modify these trucks I gotta say you rule for stepping up with something really fresh.

If it were mine I'd spend a little bit of time on these things before jumping in at 1:1-

1. The cut out in the cab for the front fender seems like it could have a better relationship to either the frame kick-up or the zoomies so that it flows better and you don't feel like you are looking at something that is missing.

2. I'd try to figure out a grill that is less like a 90's interpretation of a 30's grill. maybe even re-work or narrow some part of the orig. 53-56 type f-1oo grills to get something that reminds you of its origins a bit more.

You must build it or I will!

3. Anderson

Anderson

I did the fender cut out that way just because that was the curvature of the original fender, where it would bolt to the cab. I was going to change that, but was afraid it would take away too much from the origin of the cab. The lower portion of the firewall has the same foward slant as the headers, and thats what ties them in together.

I had taken the original grill bar and narrowed it quite a bit, it looked good. I did however, make it crooked on accident, and messed it up. So instead of finding another grill, I just made something radical in its place. I couldn't come up with anything wider to mask the radiator, but I think this works pretty well.

4. TINGLER

TINGLER

I personally like that idea. It opens up more rod fodder out there.
    1950 Chevy trucks...etc.

But personally, I think the 1946 through early 60's Willys trucks are a gold mine for that particular thing.

Here is a pic of my little model project. (hopefully some day I will be able to get back to it !)
    Its a '48 Willys. Right now setting on an '84 Ranger frame...(PUKE!)...Needs lots of work....

Its just a personal abortion of mine that someday I will resurrect...
    Here is a pic on one of the brainstorm sessions....I think there is potential.

Attached Files:

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Damn, that turned out killer! Nice job!

The only thing that bothers me is the radiator area. Not so much the grill, but the radiator sticking out like that. I wonder if this would be a case for running the radiator in the bed area. I've seen people do it. I don't know how the hell it would keep it cool, especially a brute motor like that, but people have done it, so must be possible.

Again, nice job!

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I think it's pretty damn cool!! [​IMG]

Proof that Fenderless Farm Equipment CAN be groovy...nice work!

7. TINGLER

TINGLER

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing that bothers me is the radiator area. Not so much the grill, but the radiator sticking out like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Django on that one.
    That model is really great BTW....but I feel that in my opinion...
    A big fat 60's style handmade custom grill shell with quad headlights would fit in pefectly with this idea.
    Something Ala Kart or Little Duece Coupe-ish....
    Maybe???

JT.

8. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

im just wondering where to get the windshield?

9. [ QUOTE ]
    im just wondering where to get the windshield?

[/ QUOTE ] Local Ford dealer. [​IMG]

10. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I've thought
    LONG and HARD about doing this same thing
    With a 60's jeep...

Yours kinda reminds me of a VOLKSROD for some reason?

I dunno,
    I guess you COULD make it cool,
    and maybe even somewhat "period correct"
    (but something to remember was there WAS alot of
    "abortions" from that period!)

good luck...?

11. That looks real cool...nice job! I had an extra early 50's Chevy truck cab, for a while, that I thought of doing the same thing to...section, chop, channel, etc....maybe someday I'll have the time and energy for that much of a project. Somebody should build this one, though!

12. brewsir

brewsir

BUILD IT!!!
    I like the whole thing....windshield is easy enough...if you do the chop right. My f100 has eight inches outta the windshield....only reason it is cracked is I rushed when I shoulda waited (ain't patience a bitch) I sandblasted mine.

13. Elrusto

Elrusto

Ok.......now where ya gonna get the cab? [​IMG]
    Think that would be kinda cool!

14. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

no, seriously, I was asking because the window is curved, and you cant just cut the center out, unless you want a seam there. and you would have to have the center cut out since he is NARROWING the cab. i guess you could cut it off both ends, but does this year F100 have ends that are more curved than the middle?

I know its not a problem cutting glass for normal chops.....

this one needs it both ways.....

15. Why not narrow [and chop] the windshield just like the cab and go ahead and butt the two halves in the middle with clear silicone? Or, even run a divider strip in the middle. Maybe a strip with an art-deco rib running down the center of it into the cowl-top and cab top...

16. Love it!

Grille needs a rework in my picky eyes...but apart from that looks pretty awesome...

just clear butt the windsheild...

Cheers
    MAIKI

17. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

that w330 windshield is a consistant curve and shouldn't pose a problem cutting

18. Germ

Germ

Move to florida man

19. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks for the advice germ

20. Elrusto

Elrusto

Now all it needs is a visor!