Register now to get rid of these ads!

Feeling Petty Pleased!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mopar Mama, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Long story short, I've been putting off the purchase of an exhaust manifold in lieu of making some headers. But what I really want to do is drive my car, so I broke down and I called the nearest vintage yard to have it pulled. He wanted $125 for the exhaust, which I think is exorbitant. Having taken one off, I know how difficult the endeavor can be. When I arrived to pick it up, he informed me that this was his third try (the bolts holding the two together had broken off on the other attempts). The intake was still attached to the exhaust and he had freed up the heat riser. So I played dumb and said, "$125 right?" He definitely hesitated, then accepted my money. I walked away feeling better about the man and his junkyard, thinking maybe we had misunderstood each other and the intake had been included in the price. It was later that I realized it must have been because he couldn't get them apart and simply said "fuck it." This variable aside, I think that was a fair price for both, and as luck would have it, the bolts on my intake were broken as well, so now I don't have to mess with tapping them out. Happily ever after. Perhaps this may not be exciting to you, but my car's been sitting awhile and to me it's all about the small victories. :D Thanks for reading!

2. Every once in a while, shit works out. Good luck.-MIKE:D

3. MissPrint

MissPrint

Whooooo Hoooooo!!! :D A victory, no matter how small is still a victory!
    Had been followin' your saga with this, and kept my fingers crossed that you'd find a solution. . .Get that sucker in and get back on the road! :D

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

he probably only paid $125 for the whole car. take it and RUN!!

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

125? i thought i was paying YOU 125 to remove the manifold, i don't care if i get the intake too, i already HAVE one! now i have to free these rusty bolts myself too? how about $50? my time ain't free either.

and i still think 50 is too much for a junkyard exhaust manifold.

6. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

He pulled it, and those things are a BITCH with a capital B. My intake has the same problem that the others did, that is, 2 out of 4 bolts were broken off when I started to take them apart, the other 2 I twisted off. He's a crotchety old bastard who doesn't give a damn about anything and thinks his parts are made of gold. I think for the two, that was a fair price. As for him, he's getting his for quoting me twice the price it's worth, because I got twice the parts! :D