Register now to get rid of these ads!

Feedback on lowering a shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markdob, Aug 9, 2014.

1. markdob

markdob

want to know how low can you can go without bottoming out or ruining car parts. I heard 4 1/2 in front and 5 in back is a good height but want to see if I can go lower without having a negitive effects. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I had the same questions on our 49 shoebox - although I haven't gone that low.
    Plenty of good HAMB talent on here that should help.
    I'd call Chris at Shoebox Central he has been great help for us. Parts and tech support..............

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Negative effects' will be bottoming out & camber, not necessarily in that order...

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

And then there's the possibility of the driveshaft bottoming out on the tunnel.
    With dropped spindles there are no camber concerns.

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The car pictured has 2 coils cut in front, 3" blocks in the rear with 2 small springs also removed. Front bump stops were cut down an inch, and there was no drive shaft rubbing. Camber was a little off, but the car rode and handled great even with 30 year old bias ply tires!!

6. daddio211

daddio211

Seems that most guys who get shoeboxes low (static drop) are doing dropped uprights and Aerostar coils up front, then custom leaf springs with blocks out back. The front seems pretty straightforward but the back can be done in a myriad of ways.

To get it low you should plan on C notching the rear frame rails and moving the rear of the drive shaft tunnel up some like 51 MERC-CT mentioned.

Regarding the rear, results seem to vary depending on the owner and combination.

I have uprights, Aerostars and blocks but I'm waiting to put them all in until I sort out the last few problems and know my car will be reliable.

7. daddio211

daddio211

Oh, to get ideas of how the car will sit with this combo look at Royal Shifter's Victoria Secret and Happy Hoppy's coupe. Royal used Namco spindles, but the stance will be the same.

8. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

And the way I ' C'd ' mine along with also raising the tunnel.

[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  9. markdob

markdob

I am loving all the info and different ways of doing this. One more question I have is some people are talking about Aerostar springs. Why these vs getting 2" drop springs from a store

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

Markdob,

I suspect everyone chooses the Aerostar springs because of price. Jamco wants $154 plus shipping for one of their drop coil springs. You can pick up a quality Moog spring at your local auto parts emporium for about $80 a pair and no shipping.

Jeff

11. daddio211

daddio211

Saw someone post two or three days ago -can't remember where though- that a retailer on amazon.com was selling them (Aerostar coils) for about $40 per pair with free shipping. My local CarQuest ordered a set for me for about $50.