Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Fedex dropped off my Firestones!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54RatRod, Jul 9, 2013.

1. IGOR

IGOR

Here's my truck with its new 820-15s and 670-15s. Drives like a champ. Coker has never let me down. In fact, when I ordered tires for the truck originally I ordered the wrong size. Although I had already mounted em on the truck and rolled it up the street they still bent over backwards for me. Took the tires back and set me up with the right size. I'd have a difficult time findin anything bad to say about Coker or the tires the sell. Been through prob'ly 7-8 sets and never an issue. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1373470719.043032.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I loved mine on my Bel-air. Same size and make. Do a tech thread on how you wash them. You know, in case someone else gets a new set.

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thanks for the info on the wesleys. i have bias firestones from coker tire on my model a, it drives down the road like its on water

4. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Agreed! Although I sent mine back, wasn't any fault of Coker's and after almost a year, they handled the whole thing amazingly. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

If you didn't mount them yet just take them down to your local do it yourself car wash. Hit them with the soapy brush then use the sprayer and the blue will fly off. Fastest way to get that blue stuff off compared to anything

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Magnum Balancing Compound (beads) - we use them all the time on larger tire/wheel combos. They would work fine on these as well, and eliminate the need for weights on the wheel. They require a special valve core, which typically comes with the pack of beads.

7. yea, the 'stones are a good looking tire, I have a set on my '37 Cadillac and a pair on the front of my "30 project. The side wall looks right, the tread looks right and the "gum dipped" logo looks good, what the hell is "gum dipped" anyway?

8. eng13capt

eng13capt
    from Nevada

I am hearing a lot about radials, but if you want bias I hear to get them trued. Any one know a place in Utah that does that? And very sweet tires by the way!

9. casper

casper

I don't think the balancing beads will work in a tube type tire. I think most bias plys are tube type only. I always use some baby powder on the inside of the tire before mounting so the tubes do not bind or chaff. then I air the tire up and remove the valve core again and let the tube completly "relax" before airing them back up again. Most newer tubes have TR-13 valve stems and they are smaller in diameter than the TR-15 size hole in old wheels, be sure to use the "cowboy hat" bushing on the stem to protect it from moving around. Should be able to computer balance just like any other tire. Have fun !!

10. 54RatRod

54RatRod

Just picked up my OE 15x5 Ford steel wheels from the powder coaters.

[​IMG]

11. rld14

rld14

Ill repeat what I said on Instagram... (To the tune of "its a wonderful life")

Every time you remove the radials on an old car and replace them with Firestones an angel gets its' drivers license.

:D

Glad you got em, you're going to love them. There's always the naysayers but I cruise up and down the Jersey Turnpike on bias ply tires at 70-80mph all the time and my cars are fine. Just a suggestion, run the OEM pressures which IIRC, are 23f and 26r. Should be on the sticker inside the glovebox door.

12. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Dyan Beads are what your looking for.

I also just got my first set, I LOVE THEM!!! Cool has always been about a certain look that each one of us deems cool. i.e.. to each his own. I also know a lot of "car guys" that I wouldn't trust behind the wheel of a bumper car. Tooooo many variables as well. Car, roads, speed at which you cruse, and of course the common sense/ability of the driver.

I know my 59 olds went down the road like a dream on radials. Not sure I would have wanted to handle any surprises in that land cruiser on bias plies.

13. 54RatRod

54RatRod

I just looked up the recommended PSI and you were close, it's 26 front and 23 rear. Just had it backwards, lol.

Thanks for the advice, I probably would have ended up running it higher than that.

14. eightbanger

eightbanger

Got the right look, no doubt about it. Very nice!

15. 54RatRod

54RatRod

Got my wheels and Firestones installed. I'm very happy with the look and the ride.

[​IMG]

16. stretch58

stretch58

Looks awesome!! just a heads up for safety. They have been blowing up at the point where the white meets the tread. cooker has been good about replacing them at no cost but have not found what is causing them to do it. not trying to talk bad on them but ive had three customers with the same problem.

17. SWEET!
    I have Blackwall firestones on my 35 pickup on the inside the black is starting to come off and its seems like white underneath?/ but No probs so far .
    W /W Diamondbacks [radials] on my 56 Fairlane No probs either..

18. supervert

supervert

I take my stones up to 90mph regularly and they handle a little different than the radials, bait I can't say it's worse. I love mine.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Old thread revival. How do bias plies ride on a light weight -2,000 lb. car? On those nasty highway divots? Do you experience a lack of traction when you floor it from a standing start? Is there a bias ply to fit a 7" rim?

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! that looks great!!!!

21. I drove my truck (not sure of the weight) to Colorado last month. 1200 miles round trip, mostly in the rain, averaging about 75mph. Sure they ride a little rough, but nothing else looks as good!

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Old thread revival. How do bias plies ride on a light weight -2,000 lb. car? On those nasty highway divots? Do you experience a lack of traction when you floor it from a standing start? Is there a bias ply to fit a 7" rim?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. FRANKTHECRANK

FRANKTHECRANK

I have radials on smoothie steel wheels all around on my fenderless 34, (I painted on the white walls, too :rolleyes:),....because they were on the truck when I bought it so,....they fit the bill.

But.....now I'm switching up to blackwalls, and Halibrand replicas. The fronts are running Vredestein and I'm still debating on what tires to run on the 8 inch rears.

I love the pie crust look but,....am I flirting with sure disappointment having skinny radials up front and wider bias out back?

24. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That looks very nice! You are going to have to get Ryan to change your screen name now.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You shouldn't mix bias and radials. Do a search. Lots of bad things seem to happen, when you do.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Not true that most bias ply are tube only. Tubeless bias ply pretty much standard OEM from early fifties on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. FRANKTHECRANK

FRANKTHECRANK

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, it's one of THOSE topics. Personally, I wouldn't think it would matter, but then, I also wonder why would you/ Unless it's a situation where you have to, like stuck somewhere and just need ANY tire, why run bias AND radial?

And I'll resubmit some of my question that got this thread bumped.

Do you experience a lack of traction when you floor it from a standing start? Is there a bias ply to fit a 7" rim?