Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FED with killer Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless, Nov 16, 2010.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sounds like your rolling right along Kjell,, Tim Jones

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

OK guys, soon to be ready for the first race this year:) The Sidewinder is coming together pice by pice.
    After milling the heads, we also had to mill for the right valve clearence. We ended up at 65cc, still alot of improvement. The chassis was OK'd yesterday with a 7.50 tag:) To get down to that i really need to step up:)!? Blower have been taken appart for some extra pinning. It was really nice to be able to use my new Arboga Drilling machine A2608:) Even used it for milling for final valve clearence:) We hope to start it by monday. Idler pully is due to be finished tomorrow.

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

3. afaulk

afaulk

Sounds like it's gonna be a beast. Remember to keep it in the groove!

4. Don't back bend it on the drivers 'pulling' side - you want the crank pulley to have a straight pull on the blower or you can cause all sorts of drama. With 19 lbs of boost - she should really scoot! Hopefully you can keep the head gaskets in it. I'd recommend having a 'leak down' tester to check the cylinders before you run and afterwards - can tell you a lot about head gasket issues. This is what we're now doing with the FlatCad - give us 'eyeballs' into gasket issues as soon as they show up.

5. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Guys:) B&S I was gona backbend on the feed side, left side from front wiew. Is that what you ment? I thought the right side was the pulling side, as the engine turns clockwise?:)
    The heads, intake and blower are toqued down. The winder is soon to get the jump-start:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

6. You have it right - as you face the engine from the front - you can do this on left side (normally the passenger side on a car). You need a straight pull on the right (driver's) side. Best of luck on the fire-up!

7. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks D:) The Falthead is now complete with all the "trimmings" in place:) Roger helped me alot this evening;) And what a difference with the new CR, really hard to turn. Looks impressive too. The only issue is that the belt had a tendency to outward abit!? Hope the tension pully will hold it in place. Anybody have had issue with this? Oh this happend when we turned the blower clockwise.

Afaulk, I'll try to hold it in thr groove:):)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

8. About the only thing that causes that is that the blower mounting surface is not square to the crank centerline (angled up or down) - or the centerline of the blower is not square 'side to side' with the crank centerline (angled side to side) - so the belt wants to 'walk' a bit. Hopefully it isn't too severe as to throw the belt. Once you start it - pay close attention to see if it is really trying to walk off the idler.

9. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Dale:) That was What Roger said too, start her up and watch closely:) The surfaces on the intake should be square to crank centerline. But the blower could be a litle off side to side. Hopefully it's not that much when the Crank start pulling;)
    Had a rubber plug in one of the exhaust pipes, and when Roger crank with a wrench, it popped almost up in the ciling. I think it's gone be really interesting start-up:) ?!
    Whent back to a safe set-up on the fuelsystem. With a higher CR, I'm confident that it's gone be easier to tune, as it will burn more effective on idle:)?

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

10. With a much higher CR, this this should really run on alky. I'd be a bit careful with the boost initially - if you have a bigger upper pulley and can get the boost down to 14 - 15 lbs, that is where I'd start. Also, make sure you heat-cycle and retorque the heads at least 3 times before you run it down the strip. All these things are necessary to get the deck to seal. My guess is that it will be a totally different engine! Can't wait to see how it runs! B&S

fenderless likes this.
  11. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Spot on D:) That was what initially wanted too. But pulleys seem har to come by over here. I might be able to lend a 47 tooth pulley, I have 44 now. Your guess is my hope:)
    When we fire here up, I'll just pretend that you are HERE D, and try to remember all that you have teached us. And in the background the rest og my Hamb friends will watch, Carl, Buddy, Tim, ............;)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good Luck Kjell ,, I'll be waiting for the video,, Tim Jones

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Tim :) And to all who like Flatheads, the Sidewinder really did wind alot this evening:)
    Video is upploading;/ The throttle respons was something, was actually a little afraid:) But still some issues to be solved, as number 1 cyl. has a tendency to fail on lower rpm's, and comes back at even high rpm's. Wacking the throttle gave abot 15 psi of intake pressure. No more testing before the upcomeing weekend;/ Now we need to focus on the trailer and bits&pices:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

14. I'll bet it sounded and responded a bit different than it did before! Especially now that you have some compression with that fine dose of Alky!

15. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Yes D. completly diffrent:) And the smell of Aky made me abit "High";) We fattend her alot, whent from #116 on the main to #070. Then gave it abit more on the barrelvalve and a tad more air:) I might even fatten the main abit more and close the barrelvalve abit. I need to be on the safe side:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

16. Listening to this with great anticipation, need video Kjell!

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Here are the video:)

FlynBrian likes this.
  18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sounds GREAT!!!!!!! , I'd say you guys are getting this thing figured out, Throttle response sounds really good:D, Tim Jones

19. Looks like she's itchin to get on the track!!! great video, course your English needs a little work though...........

20. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks guys:) Yes I'm High now:)
    Checked the leakdown today, and got about 3-5% even on all 8 cyl:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

21. Checked the leakdown today, and got about 3-5% even on all 8 cyl:)
    Ah that's no good Kjell, you need to ship it over here so's I can check it out.....
    get it back to you as soon as I can;);)

22. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Oh Carl, I will work on my English later on, in the mean time, snakker jeg bare Norsk og tar meg en pils, SKÅL!:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless
    Well if you want it? Come on over, and try it first:):):)!?

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

23. Well if you ever get over here I'll keep a coupla of em in the fridge for you!!!!

24. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Carl:) You never know, I might drop by some day:)
    Oh! The UFRA sticker is really a hit:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  25. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Trailer is now gone, and I will follow tomorrow for the first test:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

26. Pics at 11, I hope:D:D:D

27. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Finally got the old Goat going;) Now we can title us as the fastest Flathead in Europe:) 9,89 sec ET, top speed 211 km/h:) But I think we can do better next time:)
    We managed to blow out the rear oil seal on the C4:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

28. Great Kjell, what rear gears are you running? what rpm you spinning? looks to me like you are somewhere around 315-350 hp sounds great!! 9.89 is getting down there in a hurry......

fenderless likes this.
  29. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Thanks Carl:) We shift at pluss 5200 rpm's, and around 6250 rpm's in the traps. Still alot ti figure out.
    I'll post the time slip later on:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

30. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

211 km converts to 131 mph nice run Kjell , where's the video and pics:D Tim Jones