Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2018 Banger Meet - Happy Groundhog's Day!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if you are talking the shims on the axle , I have always used 2 on each side with no problems

2. Don't know about the cover, Jim... I just want the carbs :D!!!

3. RussTee

RussTee

Are there any twin overhead cam heads being reproduced for the B motor at the present time?

4. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

You're talking about the spacer on the brake drum if it's directly behind the wire wheel covering off 5 lugs correct? They would not be needed with steel wheels I have 40 brake drums running 35 wire wheels and if I go to a later Model 5 lug wheel I do not need the spacers hope this helps
    Skip

Dannerr likes this.
  5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Thanks Skip, that was the info I was looking for.

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

BILL

IT ALL COMES AS PACKAGE o_O

Dannerr likes this.
  7. Easiest (but most expensive) way to get those Riley's is to buy the new ones produced by Zikiras Garage in Cincinnati!

8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Those look to be the 1 1/2" variety of Riley side drafts. ZAKIRAS only makes/made the 2" size only.
    Mac the Yankee, what size are you looking for, big difference between the two..AND their manifolds !

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

IT'S 10 DEGREES OUT AND THERE'S BEEN SOME HIGH WIND GUSTS. I NEED TO GO OUT TO THE WORKSHOP TODAY TO GET A WHITWORTHLESS TAP/DIE SET FOR A FRIEND. I'LL MEASURE THE CARBS FOR YOU BILL. THEY ARE A GOOD MATCH FOR THE H.A.L.

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK GUYS THIS VIDEO IS A LITTLE LONG BUT WORTH WATCHING
    THE VIDEO IS OFFA YOUTUBE NOT MINE OR ANYONE I KNOW

ONLY THING I WOULD SAY IS MOST OF US NEED TO SLOW THE DRILL DOWN .... THIS GUY TOO. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU:

THOSE OF US WORKING ON OLD STUFF SELDOM GETS A PART THAT SOME FOOL HASN'T REALLY SCREWED UP BEFORE US

11. noboD

noboD

Sorry Bluto, I couldn't watch after he took the wheel off. Why didn't he just redrill a new pattern in between the old one instead of punishing himself for someone else's sins? That brought back bad memories of a million dollar machine at a local candy factory that I worked on. The factory " mechanic" screwed up drilling a hole pattern and cut the heads off some bolts and welded JUST the heads in place to appear as though everything was OK. After he left and I found it I had the job to repair his artwork.

12. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

My guess is that drilling new holes would mean removing the axle and using a drill press? Plus, he didn't expect to have that much trouble getting those broken studs out, but once he started, it just kind of piled on.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

DOUG

I GUESS WHEN I WAS WATCHING IT I WAS THINKING ABOUT IT SHOWING WHAT YOU CAN, AND SOMETIMES MUST DO, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PORTABLE EDM.

HE DID EXPLAIN WHY HE WENT THE ROUTE THE WAY HE DID.

HE DID GET HE JOB DONE. STUCK WITH THE JOB.

AND THE MACHINE WAS BACK TO WORK THE NEXT DAY.

I SPEND MANY YEARS UN-DOING OTHER PEOPLE'S "GOOD IDEAS" LIKE PUTTING A CHEVY OR FORD SMALL BLOCK IN OLD FERRARI RACE CARS OR WORSE.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

I understand the reason for the video, it will be very helpful for those that don't know. It is just that I have had to fix crap like this too often after someone else made the mess. I always approached things if I left a balled up mess chances are I would be the guy that had to take it apart down the road and fix it. So I tried to do it right the first time. When I had my own shop all my friends were told. If they break a tap or bolt bring it to me right then. If they screwed it up drilling and trying easy outs MY price went considerably.

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you do with what you have . this is on a ranch & he did what he could . some times it is a can of works & some times it works first time . ranchers have limited access to fancy stuff ..... at least he is smarter than the other guy . I worked in a farm repair shop . you would be amazed at the stuff that comes in . he is as most are , determined ! labor is cheap when its your stuff .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Old Dawg likes this.
  16. I was told by the shop owner when I was in school, "It is not a screw up if you can fix your mistake, how long it takes depends on how much you like working for free".
    All it takes is one mistake to make you think about what you are doing.
    I know plenty of machinists missing a finger or worst, I proudly can still count to 9 1/2 on my fingers........

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

DOUG

I COULD NEVER AFFORD WHAT I WANTED SO I BROUGHT STUFF BROKEN, WITHOUT MAJOR PIECES INCLUDING BODY. ONCE FIXED I COULDN'T AFFORD TO DO IT OVER SO LEARNED TO DO THINGS CORRECTLY THE FIRST TIME. WE COULD BOTH TELL HORROR STORIES FOR DAYS. THIS WAS MORE ABOUT "UNDOING BULLSHIT" WHERE IT CAME FROM WASN'T IMPORTANT OR THE REASON I POSTED IT.

Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  18. FAST2018.jpg.jpeg SAVE THE DATE! More info to come!

Dannerr and ROCKER77 like this.
  19. Jiminy

Jiminy