Register now to get rid of these ads!

****Feb 2012 Banger Meet.....Cupid is up for some Bang'n*****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to say ...... do you have time to do it twice?

2. Check it out!! Hollow dowels front and center 1/4" dowel pins rear cap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Another good idea! with the dowel in the cap they can't get damaged like they would in the block if it was set down hard.

4. I make my own caps. I put the block on the Bridgeport and use the existing hole spacing drilling and boring to dowel fit size I use the dimension as typical for all holes cap and block indicating first hole then dial off then the block/caps are bored to size If it should get into the dowel it ain't gonna hurt that much. As long as you have 2/3 thds min dia remaining. I mean I don't know why I'm trying to convince you, I know it works. I considered pinning but decided the thing wasn't going to the moon so I settled on a, by todays standards I guess, more "Blacksmith" approach.

5. callcoy

callcoy

Well are am certainly thankfull for the effort and time given to my questions by BCCHOPIT,Just Plain Bill and Pat (BHT8BALL). I have followed you postings in the past and gained a great deal of knowledge. Dan McEachern also weighed in with similar suggestions.

So I don't keep everyone in the dark, after all you shared with me, I will tell you what I am going to do. I have ordered some 5/8" O.D.x.495 I.D. 304 seamless S.S. tubing from the Racers Materials Warehouse, McMaster-Carr. No one in the S.F. Bay area really caters to the insert bearing needs of the B engine owner at least that I trust.

After correcting the work of others because of the (poor quality)lack of proper inspection, testing, crank grinding and etc. It is time for me to take charge and personally direct and oversee these functions, for myself and other B owners. Those areas that I can not personally do myself, I have established relationships with qualified machinists. Through the years the old adage," If you want it done right do it yourself" certainly rings true!

Once again Thank You to all of those who responded, I appreciate it very much.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. RussTee

RussTee

Excellent discourse here am learning a lot thanks guys.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Some eye candy from the GNRS last month

Attached Files:

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Stopped by my buddy's engine shop
    And my head is only 6.1 to 1
    Next time it's off I will have to give it a little trim :) I was hoping it was
    7 to 1

Attached Files:

9. nickk

nickk

quick question, is the head stud on a model A banger 7/16 coarse thread? dont have one by me to look at to tell

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Coarse in the block
    Fine for the nut

11. nickk

nickk

7/16 is right though? i was shooting from the hip there

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Oops
    Yes you hit it :)

13. nickk

nickk

sure do appreaite the info, maybe coming back to you alil later with some more questions if i dont find them out myself

14. callcoy

callcoy

I have picked up a "B" pan with the lower portion of the clutch housing still in place. The drain bung has been gas welded in place. I will not need the lower portion as I will be using a "A" clutch housing on my next engine. I really don't want to remove the lower portion and would work with someone who has a pan that has been modified. Located in Northern Calif.

15. Had some guys over visiting looking for junk,ah well, vintage parts and the 2 port wouldn't start, they wanted to hear it run. I offered to start the Ford 8N and or the Case VA but they weren't interested in hearing them. I know them tractors will start as I just finished getting them to run. Thats what I been working on, tractors. Worn out steering' and hydraulic systems. No time for shiny cars.

Found a "Idea" book on Amazon that has 10 photo's of different parts of my red car. You know brakes, wheels, carburetors, the author even liked one of my cotter keys. Photos of a lot a famous cars and their neat parts and damn if I ain't in there among em! Or at least my car is.

Sold a couple Ford flathead V8 front and rear axle combinations drum to drum, 59a block with the innards some other odds and ends. You know, backing plates radius rods, the kinda stuff that just seems to gather. Guy found a pair of 36 radius rods so I sold them . The next day I found the 36 rear end under the coupe frame with a "Posie's" spring on it so I called the guy and told him "Hey sonny, the tail goes with the hide" He said he'll be back for the rest of the parts.

Getting ready to pull the Winfield flathead down and have been sorta shopping for a "stroker " A crank The guy at Scat didn't really seem interested, stock stroke is $1500 +tax 1/8 offset grind adds $600 to base price. Seems a tad high for just another 1/8, He wasn't sure if they could/would go another 1/32 didn't seem interested in finding if they had enough material on the forging to go that far. You know, for some people it ain't getting to work by 8 o'clock, it is that God-awful wait till 4 30. Dan Eubanks was close to 1/2 half that price and would go to .156 offset which is what I have now. But he is afraid the crank would be too weak.

I guess thats about all thats new here at Menopause Meadows! Oh, I almost forgot, the Ramp Lady had a heart attack last part a Dec. and had a couple a Stents installed so I have had nursing and cooking things to do for awhile Sure cuts inta the wrenching time!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bill

$1500 sounds like a lot for a Chinese crank?

17. I guess so but to be fair the base price is $1300 rounded off, $1500 is cost of drilled crank, Burlington is $950, Not sure but Eubanks must be around $900. although Eubanks normally grinds "C" style The first 2 are forgings from China Burlington is finished there while, I believe Scat is chinese forging finished here by Scat. I may be wrong but I think Eubanks is USA!

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Did the price go down?
    I thought it was $1800
    I looked at there web sit and you can get a B crank with A rods. Any one know how much stroke you can get out of that

I bet the fee for stroking a crank would go down if 3 or 4 banger guys order at the same time

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Scat is machined here in Cali.
    Eubanks is cast here in US.
    I've been quoted $450 to drill Burlington crank.
    The Scat crank is forged 4340 and the way they drill them for preasure to the rods is better then the typical cross drill done on stock cranks. IMHO, the way most people drll the cranks makes the week at the rear main. Scat can't stroke their cranks, because the forgings are made with A size journals an there isn't enough material to offset grind them more then .060".

20. I'd like to try some o that preasure drilling sounds kinda kinky. I'm confused you say Scat can't stroke their cranks but a .125 offset, which was the amount the guy from Scat said he had heard, would be a 4.5" stroke in my experience. That is how your post reads to me. Just kidding, I understood what it was you meant. You musta went to the same school where C Yapp went

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Read that again Bill. .060" offset is .125" on the stroke.
    For a total of 4.375".

Any referance compairing me a C Yapp is an insult.;)

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

What is the max stroke for a A or B be for you hit the cam or can't keep the pistons in the bottom if the bore

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Custom pistons and custom rods too :D

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Oh and much smaller pin and a pinched 3 ring stack 1mm, 1mm, 2.5mm

25. The max practical stroke was if you started with a fresh "B" you could theoretically get a total of 4.625 or 4 5/8" if I remember correctly. To be sure there were probably a lot of one of creations with ungodly long strokes

Touche! CDO, If you re-read my post you will see that the .125 dimension I used was stated to me by the cat at Scat over the telephone not taken from your post. I have a question, did you originally type in .125 in your original post on this thread?

A few years back a subscriber to S O S S wrote in and asked C Yapp why he didn't hire some 4 th. grader to proof read his magazine because of all of the misspelled words. C Yapp posted the letter with his reply

26. If the shoes fits ware it!

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks Bill
    4.625 that would be one long ass rod
    That would be a fast way to add cubic inches
    I don't have time for the math now but 4.125 bore and a stroke of 4.625

Don't know how long it would last but it might be fun

I payed to much for my Ross pistons so the stroker will have to be for the next engine

28. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Did ya get a sticker?

Ron

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Ross sticker ?
    Yes and a T shirt that was too small :)