Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fat fords: headliner question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey guys,

I started digging into my 46 ford Tudor to install the headliner today. I'm taking plenty of photos because it seems like something that's not super well documented online but after reading the instructions I did have a quick question and thought I might a quicker reply here than threw the manufacture.

They have supplied a bit of jute insulation/padding and mention putting it around my quarter Windows and I haven't any idea where that's supposed to go.

The instructions apear to be specific to the Tudor so I don't think it's a coupe only thing or anything. My headliner is long gone so I can just look where the old stuff is but I will look for traces of it when I take the moldings off .

As best as I can figure it is meant to go on the top of the window opening before you put the headliner in so when you install the garnish molding the headliner is flush to it and not gapped as the molding and body structure are a good 1/4 inch or so away from each other on the back side.

That sound right to you guys? I'll attach a photo of the section of instructions that mention it.

~ first paragraph below the step 3 header

image.jpeg

Thanks for any help guys :)

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Hey, at least you're reading the instructions good luck I HATE headliners!
    I think you need glue, my buddy Charlie RIP used Top Grip glue from National fabric on 7th street in KCKS
    They are a good source of any interior materials needed.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup I've been over there before, didn't think of them for glue however. Good tip!

I do know/think it needs glued in place I'm just not 100% on where I need to place it

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I can only tell you from watching my late friend.
    he would start pulling the back around the rear window, he would already have sprayed the glue on both surfaces, around the edges, if you use the correct glue from National, he used an old paint gun to spray, make certain you let the glue set up for a few minutes then start pulling it from the middle outward then attach it where lightly glued, with the glue he used you could remove it and move it around and it would stick again in that spot and keep working the sides to the door opening and rear side windows.
    I think that the rear curved part was the hardest to make look right.
    I bet you will do a good job if you take your time.
    Like ol Charlie said...don't drown that headliner with glue, it will bleed thru if you put too much on.
    That is where the old paint gun is the best to apply the glue, it keeps it pretty much uniform.
    That's about all I know.
    Someone else that does a lot of these her might chime in.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I feel pretty confident in attacking it after reading accounts of getting it tight. I think half the battle there is knowing what your getting yourself into.

It's the finer details that I'm a little lose on because I don't have an existing headliner in place to look at.

So far it seems more only hang up is where exactly that pad goes. Maybe I'll dig three some old photos and see if I can see it in them

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

ME too?? what does the PAD look like?

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll take a photo in a minute, it looks like your standard under carpet jute insulation. Maybe a half inch thick at most and about 5x12 inches long

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok so A quick look and all I can see in photos, and recall now that I see it, is some jute style insulation on the sail panel behind the quarter windows. Not sure how that would effect the headliner so I'm doubting that's it. Here's a photo either way so you can see how raunchy this thing was when we started
    image.jpeg You can just barely make it out in this photo, it may have tucked into the very back bottom corner of the garnish molding at most?

This is just for a before photo I guess image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

like the tuck'n'tear interior - where did you get headliner from/how old? - would imagine the jute helped to support the material and a modern foam could be used - hope that you marked bows while removing to make sure that you put them in exactly where they came from - have fun

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's a brand new labaron Bonney headliner I had them stitch up for me. I called and got out on hold for 10+ minutes before I gave up on hearing a humans voice.

When I get a chance I'll post the padding and the spot where I assume it goes for you guys

11. the wait on hold will be worth it in customer service. they are great people to do business with and will stand behind their products.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I might just drop them a line online. Phone typically takes a half hour to get a human but if I Facebook them I get a reply in a few minutes

chalkboard likes this.
  13. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

In the photo it looks like the rear garnish is still in place. If so remove it to see if jute was used under it to pad sharp metal and /or act as filler material.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wasn't any there when I pulled it off

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright so I was right.
    Shitty photo of the gap where it goes... image.jpeg just left of center. Sorry it's not easy to get a photo of.

And the padding which is longer than I thought. image.jpeg