Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fastest hamb friendly street car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, May 17, 2015.

1. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Shakey Pudding comes to mind. Steel 55 Chevy low tens in 1/4

2. squirrel

squirrel

When I last saw Shaky Puddin run, it was in the nines, and it didn't look very streetable. I saw the car was for sale recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butch M, AHotRod and hendelec like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool thread

4. deto

deto

X2

5. Redline - How does the slipper clutch act on the street? Seems like a good way to keep a four speed alive. Your car hooks, to say the least.

6. LAUNCH @ 6600!.jpg
    THe p-plate is adjustable as far as psi. The plate has 600# of "base"pressure which is with allen screws backed off (must have at least 1 turn on screws) each revolution or turn is 22 # per adjuster, so 1 turn of all 6 adj. is 730 lbs and so on.Also there is 8 grams of counterweight on each billet lever which can be changed according to how car reacts.the reason for counterweight is so you can have a light base to slip clutch instead of big wheelies (to much base in avatar) and broken trannie,rearends etc. I broke 3 sets of Olds gears,1 pumpkin and busted the case on my brand new TKO 600! To run on the street I simply adjust the p-plate to have more clutch for no slippage and the tires slip on the street quite easily....I am slipping the clutch and going FASTER!!! Car is faster every time I take it out! new clutch 011.JPG Avatar pic is 7500 drop the hammer with 1250 lbs. p-plate pressure! The last pic is with 860lbs.! 1.44 60' 10.75 /124 @3200lbs!!! I have more tricks up my sleeve to reduce time further...

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    turboroadster, Butch M and AHotRod like this.
  7. I'm throwing in my vote for Flamedabone. Before his little truck it was driven every day everywhere for years. Including all the way to the HAMB drags to race. It's been wrecked, fixed, wrecked again and fixed some more. Tough and fast little A. Kind of miss seeing it at lunch every weekend now that I think about it!

zman likes this.
  8. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Littlemans 31 pickup was street driven mid tens also. Shakey puddings car was mid tens street driven. When it became low nines he took it off the street...

9. I built it fer me 003.JPG The "BUISNESS END"!!! I built it fer me 001.JPG

Butch M and chevy57dude like this.
  10. Not the fastest , but will make your heart skip a beat. The old girl has spanked a lot of cars around here! WIN_20150412_144051.JPG WIN_20150412_145154.JPG

11. Easy low 10s. Have dipped into 9s with the MH slicks. The Radirs have trouble holding the car. 406, 471, TCI trans, Olds rear. Driven every chance I get. Have gone long distance, and have had some small problems. LOL!

12. Mikey
    I hope that all your problems are small always.
    Nice car.

Not to say that the other cars are not nice, I just don't want this to sound like facebook with me posting nice car every other post. LOL

13. Thanks beaner, I value your opinion very much sir. The tranny is my weakest link I think, cant really seem to hurt that 59 Olds rear! LOL. Knock on wood!

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  14. You could always go all Olds and put a hydro slide in it, they never break. :D

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't know if NOS is HAMB friendly but there was a full fendered A in the 8s At the hamb drags

16. Well I like NOS real well, makes me all giggly. You can tell if there is NOS in my car by the mask and tube by my shifter. LOL

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I say just bring them all to Mokan in August and we'll see who the fastest is. ;)

18. squirrel

squirrel

I have two events on my calendar, July and September, and probably won't make it to the HAMB drags this year (again).

I might need to get a job to support my habit.

belair likes this.
  19. belair

belair

Or get your wife to get two jobs...^^^

20. squirrel

squirrel

problem is, she's planning to retire next year!

21. Should they trailer 'em? I mean hell all they have to be is licensed to count as streeters. :rolleyes:

Personally I think if they just made the trip and didn't make a pass that would be as cool as anything else. Just to drive your heap cross country is a testament in itself. ;)

22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Are wheelie bars traditional and HAMB friendly on any vehicle?

23. squirrel

squirrel

Depends on the wheelie bars.

Then again, there are lots of modern parts that "get by" around here, like the front disc brakes on my Chevy II.

24. Well that so disqualifies you from the fastest streeter competition.

Uh I got some discs off of an Avanti (circa '64) I would sell the to you expensive if you want to be cool again. :)

I am certainly no expert but I think that someone may have run wheelie bars before '64 or 5 or 6 or whatever our traditional cutoff date is these days. :rolleyes:

25. squirrel

squirrel

There are 1960s style wheelie bars, and there are modern wheelie bars. Some guys run the old designs, they're pretty cool. Others run the modern ones, because they want to go fast.

26. I actually some place have an article in an old magazine that tells how to make some out of an old leaf spring. Maybe I should dig it out if I can find it and pay someone to scan it someday.

I am as bad to nit pic as anyone else, for instance I think that license plates don't make a car a streeter, or that a straight axle five five isn't necessarily "trad" by our old '64 standards because the NHRA rules said so, but I also don't believe that an alchy burner isn't a gasser so what do I know. Doesn't mean that I don't like their car and I am certainly not going to let it keep me from having fun or try and keep them from having fun either.

I would have more of a problem staging with someone that was going to loose control and bang into me because they didn't have wheelie bars then I would with them having wheelie bars that looked too new. ;)

27. mad mikey the key to the radirs hooking is in the tire prep. first they need to be flat. i chained my car to a pole and dumped the clutch. i have also put the tires in a tire cutting machine. what ever you do just get rid of the two resecessed areas in the tires. the tire work best with no tubes in them. the tubes stiffen the side wall and dont allow them to wrinkle. i have found that 14 pounds of air is the lowest i can go on my car. lower than that the car becomes unstable on the top end. i run 22 on the street. the tires need to be very hot. some tires can get away with very little burn out not so with the radirs. now for the best thing you can do for them is to use some tire softener. my choice is a home brew. one of the guys with the nitro car i work on developed this combo. he is a tire freak in many ways. he runs go carts also. any guy that can go 100 mph plus on tiny tires knows something. i use a quart bottle and fill it half way with diesel fuel. i then split the other half with laquar thinner and dextron atf. dont use synthetic and dont use the "green" thinner. put some on the tires and work it in with a rag. you will see the tires change as it works. do this several times. when the tire no longer absorbs the brew you are done. on real dry tires i do it several times over a few days. wrapping the tires in plastic over night adds extra bite. i use a durometer to monitor the effect. the tires start with a reading in the low fifties and go down to the high thirties. i retreat after every pass if time allows. this combo works so good i had to upgrade to 5/8 studs because after two hits i could bend the 1/2 inchers. good luck and tell me how it goes. the tires return to their harder reading after a few miles of street driving. so the tire life is still real good. this brew works on all tires. the harder they are the better it works.

Tim_with_a_T and AHotRod like this.
  28. i have driven the original jakes speed equipment altered wheelbase car on many occasions. this car was the original candies and hughes first funny car. it ran back in the day with leaf spring wheelie bars. my first time out with the car it stood straight up. when it came down it bent the axle broke the shocks off their mounts broke the engine mounts and a few other things i cant remember. they looked cool but did nothing to control the wheelies. pictures from back in the day show it always up in the air. personally i would not run them. they didnt last long back then only a few month window. when the racers found out they did not work well they moved on.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So how do you adjust the clutch is there windows in the bell housing or do you have to pull the tranny?