Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest Car Driven to the HAMB Drags?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by buzzard, May 11, 2009.

1. Heck yeah Steve. Got me off my but and busy making the caltracs.

I sure would like to see your pickup run the way it should. Kinda like the Fly, so much potential but there's always something.

I haven't been following all the details but with those cam numbers You're running roller lifters, right?

2. The bars are solid. My 60' times have been pretty consistant 1.95 - 2.05 with the radial slicks. With some real traction control, the slicks, and a much stiffer posi it's got to get better. I think I will drill a few more holes so can adjust something other than preload. With my ignition woe's last year the best mph was 113 but the year before I was at 115.

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Yeah, you are losing some time on the line. With those mph, you'll be in the 11's with a decent launch.

4. That's the goal. :) What are you shooting for this year, or should I ask who are you shooting for?

5. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Uh, you?:eek:

No, I never set my sites on anybody in particular. Just looking for a certain time, or a better time than last year.

My best last year was 12.73 on a weak 60 ft., even for my car. I'm running slicks this year and pulled the dual quads for a Holley 750 and an Air Gap intake. I should be in the low 12's. With cooler weather, and depending if I figure out the sweet spot with the slicks, 11.99 is not outside of the realm of possibility. Maybe. I can dream.

Most likely 12.20's would make me happy this time out.

6. Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. Just looking for incremental improvements. Last year was the first of the HAMB drags I didn't improve. I dida lot of smack talking on Jeff a couple of years ago. I knew he could take me but I had to give him a bad time anyway. Hope I didn't just jinx us both.

7. Noise is horrible from my cell phone thingy. But you get the point just the same

[​IMG]

8. ryno

ryno

so what are some #'s

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I couldn't read the numbers on the screen. What HP and TQ numbers are you pulling?? Do you assume approx. 20% driveline loss?

10. 509 hp and 529 ft/tq at the wheels. 5400 RPM and the hp was climbing!

I will tell you this, it's scary fast now! I need more brakes.

We did some "against the wall" tests to verify the fuel baselines. This is a set up on this dyno that will shut down the rollers at a specified RPM and in this case 4000. When we reached the desired RPM we had it at part throttle and still made 400 hp! Shocked the crap out of us actually.

My need for speed may just be satisfied for a while :)

11. Oh, and that whistle at the end is the dyno shutting itself down. You can hear Errick say we got a big ole spike. The dyno flashed over a 1000 hp in an instant and knew that wasn't correct, so by default it shuts down like that. Best we could figure was the truck was leaving the dyno roller and "hopping" back in.

12. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Looks like I'm bringin' a slingshot to a hand grenade fight!:eek:

Edit: the wrong kind of "slingshot".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  13. Glen

Glen

Awesome...That will put your head up against the back window. did you ever get to take it over 5400RPM?

Did you want that oil before we leave town?

14. I need to change it now, I'll give you a buzz and pick it up on my way home tonight.

15. Oh, and no, we were shutting it down at 5400.

16. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Kenny. You will drive yours there right? Glen, are you gonna drive yours all the way as well? More contenders for the cup?

17. Glen

Glen

No sir....Mine will be in the trailer....solid roller and 12-1 compression wont make the road trip.

I am bringing a buddy with me too. This 55 is wicked fast

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my...not such good news from my point of view...Gonna be lots of contenders for teh title this year..

See ya, -Abone.

19. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

That is one sweet wagon!

20. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

beautiful wagon!!! wow!!!

21. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

hey d.w. are you driving yours?? i sure do wanna drive but it's about 300 miles..with 4:11's...also i bought some 60 caddy rear quarters and i need to pick up in springfield...not sure where i'd put them in the coupe after i find a place for the slicks...thinking about puttin a trailer hitch on and pullin the trailer to haul stuff on...that just sounds funny...oh well..

22. ryno

ryno

if your serious and REALLY want to drive your car,( and try to compete for the cup) im sure we could find soemone to haul teh quaters back to joplin for you and i can stash them at my house for you, for a few weeks aleast, then you could come get them later.

23. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

ya... knowin you guys i figured some one would offer to do that...i appreciate it i've still got 2 days to decide...plenty of time...thanks again for the offer.

24. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

ok....since i'm gonna be bringin 2 gas grills and a smoker i'm just gonna have to trailer. so.....a round trip from joplin to springfield and back according to mapq. is 140 miles....what about makin that qualify for your 100+ mile trip????

25. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Thought of that already. You'd have to drive it all the way from house to track to house. You're a lot close than a bunch of guys, being from Hot Springs.

Somebody hauling your slicks and stuff doesn't disqualify you, though. That's your call.

26. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Nope. My little buggy goes on the trailer.

27. The Shocker

The Shocker

Damn, theres gunna be a lot of Hotrods in the 11's and faster this year.I am gunna have my hands full against lots of you ,and i cant wait.I am trailering my car as well ,so this title is out of my grasp .Look me up in the staging lanes ,if you want sum of the Dart.Im hoping for 11.70's with my shadetree mods and tuning...

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Have you run it 1/4 mile yet, or are you projecting times from your 1/8 mile times? What mph are your best 1/8 miles? 60 fts.?

I hoping to be close to 11's, just wondering what it's gonna take.

29. The Shocker

The Shocker

I personally have went 7.58 at 91mph in the 1/8 ,with a 1.67 60 ft in it (and it spun a bit off the line).I have never ran it in the 1/4 ,but i have a time slip from the previous owner of 11.81 at 113 mph in the 1/4 .I have since gutted 200 lbs off the front and middle ,added subframe connectors ,redid the fuel delivery system ,carb ,and added a sealed scoop to the hood with a velocity stack.He ran that 11.81 in 60 degree weather though.I have always wanted to race you and your coupe Buzzard ,win or loose...