Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. I have never tried them on a car with a scatter shield so I can't say for sure

2. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I have a top loader in my car, and no clutch linkage. I have a McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing, so clearing the bell housing would be my only concern. I'll order them from summit, and as soon as I get them in the car, I'll let you know how they fit.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I took the '60 144/T5 out on the freeway today. It held it's own with the 0.72:1 overdrive 5th, found with the 3.76 S10 gearset. Not a torque monster mind you, but this is supposed to be a gas mileage friendly commuter car. For my purposes it will be just fine, right after I put some fresh u-joints in the random driveshaft, that happened to fit, from the driveshaft stack. It has a little play and shake at 75. I will NOT be going with a taller tire (currently 23.2"). If you have anything bigger than an early 144, you should do just fine, so long as you don't put a really tall tire on the back. My 8.8 rear runs a 3.55:1 gear, in place of the 3.56:1 stock ratio 6-3/4", for reference.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

That is a bitchin' little beater there, and I love the idea of a 144 / T5 combo.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I'm not a Civic or Corolla kind of guy. Made 30mpg with the 3-speed. The T5 should only help.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I did the modern driveline t-5 conversion to my bird. I highly recommend doing it fir yourself! It was the best upgrade I ever did to my car....well, maybe it's second place to my triple weber carb setup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I can tell, early Falcons from the prior to V8 era, have a tunnel that is a good degree smaller than the later ones. Using anything but an s10 tail housing would require that the middle unibody support be cut, in order to accommodate the shifter tower. Contrary to what many believe, this support does not simply hold up the floor but provides the primary lateral structure between the front subframe rails. It is not in any way recommended to cut this support, without recreating the structure by other means. It might even still be an issue with the later cars, I am not sure. Either way don't cut it, unless you are building it back up otherwise.

8. Veach

Veach

Those Doug's Headers #D661Y looks pretty sweet to me

9. I have cut that brace in a couple of Falcon and Ranchero's over the years. My 64 Ranchero I had to cut it for an AOD. It was behind a pretty stout 5.0 that I beat on for a number of years, never had a problem.
    the 63 convertible it was cut for the SROD that was in it when I got the car. It now has a T5 and a 450 HP 306" motor and It has been autocrossed to within an inch of it life - again no problems.

BUT - Both of these had pretty stout tranny crossmembers to make up for any loss in strength across the chassis. Either way I think you made a valid point.

10. sorry to side track a little guys , Can anyone confirm for me that an early " pan fill" type C4 trans will fit in the stock tunnel of a '60 ?
    I have 289 and C4 here ready to drop in the car next week , reading Gimpy's post on the previous page made me wonder is all .

11. i am pretty sure that both Pan Fill and Case Fill will fit no problem.

12. Thanks Don . I had not given it any real thought until I saw Gimpy's comment . I was hoping I wasn't in for a surprise when I swing it in the car - hopefully this weekend.

13. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I'm sure I'm not helping, but I cut all that crap out to stuff in my top loader. I also have a Richmond 5 speed (broken & needs parts ) that fits in my 63 hardtop as well. I'm not looking for the most mpg, just the lowest et's at the track. Running a 13:1 289 injected, on alcohol, mpg SUCKS no matter what trans.

14. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

The dougs headers you sold me Don [remember those? :) ] needed only one small dent to clear a T5 quick time scatter sheild...

15. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Thanks for the info!

16. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Im about to fit a case fill C4 to my 65 XP falcon and they are tight but do clear. Not sure about early models, they had a smaller trans tunnel. You can swap the smaller early bellhousing and torque convertor from a pan fill if need be

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tunnel in my '60 is tight, with the T5 in it. I even had to tilt the engine and trans down to 5º, in relation to a level chassis, just to get it in there, without cutting the crap out of the tunnel. I matched the pinion, -1º, when I swapped the axle.

You may very well need the early bell and converter.

18. Thanks Liam , I was worried the early tunnel might be too small . I guess I'm going to find out very soon! Engine is ready for a lick of paint and then it's time to swing it in the hole.
    I followed your build thread , great work :) . I've done the " shelby drop " on this '60 and fitted up Pedders dampers and heavy dropped coils.
    I wanted to get that all done while the car is just a rolling shell , I've left all the front fenders and hood off to save leaning over new paint while doing motor/trans install and wiring/plumbing etc.
    Rod .

19. Thanks Gimpy , I'll see how I go . The 289 and C4 I have is out of a '66 Mustang and is the Pan Fill type so should be the smallest bell . I just don't want to have to alter the tunnel if I can possible help it , this little car is completely rust free and just to tidy to hack into if I can possibly avoid it , and the floor has all just been painted and detailed top and bottom :(.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that particular trans is pretty small. Give it a shot.

21. Thanks , I'll post here with the results . This car was a factory column Automatic so I figure the boys at the factory squeezed an auto trans of some sort in it way back then . It was minus motor and trans when I bought it in Ca a couple months ago .

22. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

It should fit fine then, I know a few guys over here fit early C4's into aussie XK-XM falcons and they have the exact same trans tunnel as the US built early falcons.

Looking forward to seeing it come together!

23. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

how do I post pictures on here?

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

When you write a reply, instead of "post quick reply" touch "Go Advanced". Scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and that will open a window with six bars. Click on one of those and go to your photos in your computer, pick out what you want. Click upload pictures, once they have loaded, close the small window and hit "Post Reply". Done. Sounds lots harder than it actually is. If a non computer generation dork like me can do it, a Schnauzer can probably be trained to do it....

25. 62rebel

62rebel

I know you're not in the US so this might not help you in particular, but Fox body Mustang floor center sections (trans tunnel, in other words) almost drop right into early Falcons to make trans swaps easier. the factory contours are almost a dead match. they negate the use of bench seats, though. price to pay.

26. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I've been trying to upload, but the files are too big, and I don't know how to make them smaller.

27. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

I wish I could just upload them from my phone.

28. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Download the hamb. App!

29. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

Where do you get the HAMB app from?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  30. Is there anyone here that could throw up some photos of the hood catch assembly for a '60 please? I need shots of what fits to the radiator support if possible.
    This '60 that I'm building for my wife had everything stripped out of it when I bought it and I'm a little worried that the bits I have are not correct.