Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon transmission question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickyracer1962, Sep 21, 2009.

1. i just picked up a 62 falcon sedan. it has a rebuilt 170 6 cylinder in it that runs really good. tranny is the 2 speed auto, leaks like crazy out of the selector shaft. i plan on keeping the 170 in it since it runs so good, what tranmissions will bolt up to this engine? does anybody know if the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as the early 260/289 v8? i have a c4 from an early 289 (5 bolt) & was wondering if that would bolt up. also know where there is a 4 speed manual set up from a 67 mustang with a 200, would that bolt up as well?

2. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Non of those options will bolt up to a 170.... sorry. You are stuck with that style tranny that you have or convert to a manual 3 speed or Dagenham 4 speed.

Doug

3. On Chips car we were able to use the bell housing and torque converter from the C3. We made up a new input shaft and used a C4 trans. Been working pretty well for 15-20 years now. Give him a PM for the details.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I would repair the leak.

5. what is the C3? is that what the original transmission is called?

6. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

id get the mustang motor/tranny and keep the 170 and rebuild the 2sp over time.. least it will keep you going :)

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You might be better off with the 200 and trans . I had the same damn trans in my Falcon back in 1972 when you could find the parts in salvage yards cheap . Couldn't find one ! Changed it over to a Mustang 6 banger set up and worked great !
    Just my 2 cents .

RetroJim

8. The C3 was introduced as a lightweight 3-speed automatic for compact cars like the Ford Pinto. It was used with four cylinder, small V6, and the 200ci Inline Six engines. The final appearance of this transmission was in the 1989 Merkur XR4Ti. It was made in Ford's Bordeaux France plant

1964-79 200" Six C4 Three Speed Auto will bolt up to your 170, get the flexplate and torque converter as well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. my motor is rebuilt, and i dont have access to the 200, just the stick trans that came out of it.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

IIRC, Mavericks came with 170 sixes in the 69-70 models. I am sure they came with a C4 automatic. You might want to check into this as I am not 100% sure of this.

11. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

i bolted a 200 to my 61 falcons trans,so you will be able to bolt a c4 to the 170 just get the right bell housing

12. lincolnolli

lincolnolli
    from Germany

Yes,this is the "small bell sixbanger".Only the 200s from 80 up and the big six engines(240+300) had a SBF boltpattern.
    You need to find a C4 from a mustang 6 for example.Or just find bell,flexplate and converter(very unique one!) from a sixbanger.
    You can bolt these parts to a pre 1970 C4.This will fitr your engine.

But honestly,i would just repair the leak.I got lucky in doing this from the outside,tranny in car.Just unbolt the linkage/arm and force the new seal in.Over this i put a couple of rubber o-rings and bolt the arm back on.
    Cheapass?Yeah,but it works..LOL..
    Ollie

13. Car will go better and get better economy with a manual, the 2-speed is a real dog. If a later six C4 bolts up, why the heck wouldn't a complete stick setup for a later 200 not also bolt up?

14. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC