Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fairbanks torque converters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Jun 21, 2016.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone here versed on old Fairbanks stuff?? I just got a converter for a 727 Chrysler. Looks to be a 10" or 10.5". Stamped with 6523874 on the flywheel side. And what looks like a cross made out of punch marks with 500 next to it on the top. It's painted yellow with black stripes. Any guesses??

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Doesnt really help much, but heres what I have. Dates from around 1980. As far as I know, they painted all their converters yellow with black stripes...
    214.jpg

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey thanks, no doesn't help much. But was cool to look at!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That number is probably a serial number, not a part number. This is a real long shot, but have you thought about talking to Frank Lupo at Dynamic? The current "Fairbanks" has nothing to do with the old company, but I think the old Fairbanks was his dad, Joe Lupo?? Not 100% certain on that, but I think its right...
    I know Frank worked at Fairbanks way back when, that may be your best shot.

5. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

No help from me either, but I had a Fairbanks converter in my 70 W31 in 1985. It worked great and hit hard with the factory 4:33 gears. It also was yellow and black stripes. I hadn't even heard of them in decades.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I believe the name "Fairbanks" now belongs to Superior Transmission. I'm not going to go into what actually happened to the old Fairbanks on here, but I believe it has to do with some legal issues...;)

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Know Frank and the gang a little. Have one of their converters in my car now. But got this one after they closed yesterday. You know how it is when you "gotta know now". So I posted this last night. Will call those guys today. If they have any info I'll put it here. Thanks, Gene.

falcongeorge and lothiandon1940 like this.