Register now to get rid of these ads!

Factory Twin Cowl Vents?...Car ID Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BluesHound, Aug 21, 2005.

1. BluesHound

BluesHound

Anybody know of a car with twin cowl vents from the '20s or early '30s?

I spotted such a car about three years ago on M-26 east of Hancock, MI. It was an all-original unrestored car, comparable to the Model A that Chopped50Ford scraped up recently. It was a coupe, but I don't recall if it had three or five windows. Naturally, I didn't have a camera on me at the time. When I went back for pictures a couple of weeks later, the car was gone and I never saw it again.

The most distinguishing feature was definitely the pair of cowl vents, one each in front of the driver and passenger. I hadn't seen that before and haven't seen it since. Any ideas? The car was brought up in conversation recently and I'd like to find out what it was.

2. Tony

Tony

A buddy of our has a '32 Hudson c'dan that has dual cowl vents..
    His girl has a 30 Hudson c-dan turned extended cab pick up, and i think that has dual vents too.

3. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend that has a '34 plymouth coupe with the twin cowl vents. '33 plymouths may have had them also.

4. BluesHound

BluesHound

I was expecting something much more obscure. There were a ton of short-lived car companies around at that time, I figured one of those would be the culprit.

5. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

'29 Dodge had twin vents for sure,,,:p

7. BluesHound

BluesHound

I don't think it was that new, but maybe. I'm kicking myself for not carrying a camera with me all the time. I saw an original-looking '56 Nomad last weekend that would have been worth a few pics and some publicity if I had one. Maybe those cell phone people are on to something...

8. Tony

Tony

There may have been more obscure car's with them..that i coudn't tell you..
    Here's a pic of the two car's i mentioned.

Even though it's at a goofy angle, you can still see the vents.

Did it resemble either of these?

Attached Files:

9. My 31 Dodge had his-n-hers cowl vents too...

10. BluesHound

BluesHound

I'm positive that the vents were not parallel to each other. The vents in your picture also look closer together than I remember, but I don't have a picture to back that up.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll try and find a photo of a 1933 DeSoto, REALLY good looking car with a 3Window coupe body on it. The hood came all the way back to the windshield and had cowl vents on top, made for a real long racy hood. :D

12. Tony

Tony

Hmm, thats interesting..
    I'd like to know what it was, and wouldn't mind seeing a pic too.
    The thing's we see when we don't have a camera..

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

'29 dodge had the vents on the sides of the cowl, down towards the running boards... donno if that helps any

14. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I just picked up a mid-late '20's Detroit Electric car, 5-window coupe body this summer. The cowl has a, "widow's peak", stampted into the top of the cowl, with the peak lining up with the center hood hinge, and running all the way to the radiator shell.
    On either side of the stamping, are twin vents. I did a little research, and found that Studebaker made bodies for Detroit Electric.
    i'll try and get photos later.

15. atch

atch

all the early 30's mopars i've ever seen had dual cowl vents...

16. BluesHound

BluesHound

The vents were on top, similar to the pictures posted above. I wish I knew what the HAMB was back when I spotted the car the first time....

Oh well, thanks for the help everyone.

17. toledobill

toledobill

Along with all the other Mopars mentioned, Chryslers had them also.