Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fabrication Help! s10 to 1948 desoto frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lincolnlver, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Lincolnlver

Lincolnlver

Bump

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

I don't know how to go about saying this any other manor, but you really need to get some scrap metal and learn how to weld. I have seen some questionable workmanship here on the HAMB, but that is the absolute worst. You are going to kill yourself, passengers and possibly occupants of other vehicles.

The fact that you do not know how to marry the two frames with structural integrity screams that you are not qualified for that job.

3. upspirate

upspirate

No offense intended,but ^^X2 on what he said! Those welds don't look safe at all.

I've had crappy welds on a crossmember break. (not my work) But luckily it was only a crossmember to hold the upper shock mounts.

Michigan Hot Rod shop welded it right for me at The NSRA Nats where it broke.

4. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

Damn! I just came back to see if I got spanked for my comment and I noticed those cinder blocks. Give up dude before we are reading about you in the news paper under deceased. A neighbor next to my old shop had some cinder blocks crumble and pinned him down hard under his pickup. If I had not have came in to repair a flat he would have died. One of the torque control arms was on his chest and he could just barely breath. Just to give you an idea how bad it was he crapped his pants when it happened. That what most people do when they're hung by the neck.

5. Firecat7

Firecat7

yikes...hambers not helpin ya much.i've down dozen of these type conversions. you mig welding or stick?...get some 1/8" plate sheared up. plasma or even lightly torch cut some pieces to box in. now what I mean is ....pie cut back the Desoto frame maybe like 3-4" and remove piece so you can draw flap up to the s10...tack weld together so as to make a tapered transition. weld up what will reach s10, but probably it is short. then make a long cap,so to speak... that reaches back on the soto frame3-4 inches and reaches to the s10 a couple inches tack what you can, heat red , pound n twist ,use a clamp, n form the cap to touch all around . weld 'er up...n you got it.assuming you got all dimensions correct , centered ,cross dimensioned n square, ride height ,etc. BUT GUY.. GET STAND OR 12X12 WOOD BLOCK. DONT USE CINDER BLOCKS,OR BRICKS . GOOD LUCK...GIVER A WHIRL. here to help ya:)

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You do understand that you removed a superior ifs with an ifs that rides like a truck don't you? All you had to do was install a front shock relocating kit, discs, and a jeep front sway bar.........and bingo!

7. ...how about some better pics.