Register now to get rid of these ads!

f100 steering box help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Nov 21, 2011.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I am getting ready to do a rebuild on a spare steering box I have for my 53 f100. It came with a spare steering column with shift linkage and steering box. The downside the box was empty with some of the parts in a bag. I think I am close to a complete box but have a question on some pieces and I was seeing if anyone had any pictures or knowledge about missing pieces.

What I am confused about is the bottom of the box. I have the plate that seals the box and is below the worm gear but it has a hole in it that looks factory. I am confused how it seals.

Here is a picture of the factory drawing and I circled in green the area I am confused about.

[​IMG]

2. designs that work

designs that work

Part 14308 is the horn wire, part 3597 has a that tube attached that the horn wire goes thru but the tube is tall or long enough to go above the lube level. If my memory is correct.

3. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

They generally DON'T seal, not very well at least... :mad:

Attached Files:

4. Like mentioned above, there is a tube attached to the plate with the hole.
    The tube is like 5 inches long.
    I can snap a picture for you if that helps.
    Mine is apart right now, so no big deal.

5. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Mine seems to be leaking at that tube; is it just rolled into the hole or is a seal of some kind? I was thinking of brazing it to stop the bleeding...

6. Not sure. I'll have to look.
    Of course mine is apart, so I won't see any leaks.

7. Here you go. Finally got to use the TJJ app.

Attached Files:

8. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Fuxl that makes a ton of sense now. I am missing the tube! I am wondering because of sealing issues is it worth it to run that tube and wire for the horn? Or should I just add some metal and seal the hole?

9. I guess if you find another way for the horn wire, you might as well just close it.

10. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

That's the only way you can use the stock horn button. Keeping the tube that is.

11. racemad55

racemad55

Not to hijack, anybody ever tried grease instead of oil in the f-100 box ?

12. I'll use 90 weight gear oil.
    Found this info in one of the older repair manuals.

13. dmw56

dmw56

There is a 600wt steering box lube. I've see where people use grease or STP.

14. johnboy13

johnboy13

From a member over on FTE who happens to be a retired Ford parts manager and really knows his stuff.

"Gear lube (90 wt or whatever) was not used in manual steering gearboxes. Ford used steering gearbox grease.

This stuff is still available from Ford (XG1C-replaced C3AZ19578A), comes in a tube. The tube is placed in a grease gun, then injected into the gearbox. Using gear oil will cause all sorts of play, even if the parts are brand new.
    "

15. racemad55

racemad55

Interesting,thanks!

16. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

A little confused on what to fill the box with. In the factory manual for my 53 it says 90 weight gear oil. And that is the factory service manual.

17. Doesnt it say gear oil on the fill cap of the steering box? Grease will cause air pockets/voids!

18. 55f100tx

55f100tx

My 54-55 f100 factory shop manual shop manual says 90wt multi purpose gearlube filled until it runs out the fill hole. My gearbox has that and works fine. Ive seen Numbers Dummys post about that on FTE, i dont agree with him on that advice.

19. bathcollector

bathcollector

I'm gonna run semi fluid grease in mine, the 90 wt seeps out here and there.

20. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes for boxes that leak a bit a semi-fluid grease is the way to go,flows back to where it is needed . John Deere sells it ,called picker head grease.

21. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I will run 90w gear lube in mine as 2 people have confirmed it in the factory service manual. Not sure about the other stuff but I guess as long is there is some form of lube it will keep going. Its not like your spinning the shafts as quick as a rear end.