Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 / Early V8 ('37-48) Steering Interchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will Kimble, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I just picked up a F100 steering box to use in my next project. It appears that the sector and pitman (with pinch bolt) will not interchange with any earlier stuff, but what about the worm gear? Is it the same as a '37-48 passenger car?

The F100 shaft is different where the steering wheel attaches, and I am trying to figure out how to get to the early V8 taper & keyway without cutting and welding. If the F100 worm gear is different than '37-48 passenger car, can I press a F100 worm gear on a '37-48 passenger car shaft?

Thanks,
    Will Kimble

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Worm gear is different. The early V8 passenger one will interchange with up to 1952 pickups.

3. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Boy, there seems to be a LOT of reasons to prefer the F1 box to the F100... F1 box still has the taper & keyway on the shaft, right? Can take all the pitman arms from '32-48? Both sector and worm gear interchange with '37-48 passenger car?

Thanks for the info.

Will

4. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

f100 is heavier internally than f1 so im assuming that nothing is interchangable.

5. Andy

Andy

The F-1 has splines like the F-100. Pitman arms from 32-48 will fit the F-1 box but the orintation will be off with the newer arms. They can be cut/filed out to change the clocking.
    The 37-48 sectors and worms are the same as F-1.
    The Mustang box works well with dropped axles and are much better boxes.

Attached Files:

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Like Andy says, the F1 shaft has splines on it like the later F100. You can swap a 37-48 passenger car shaft/worm right into an F1 box rather than cutting and mating a keyed shaft to the F1 unit but there is a length difference as well. So no big deal either way since you'll probably have to shorten it a few inches for your early car anyway. I just put an F1 box in my '34 frame this afternoon, looks like I'm gonna chop about 2.5" out of its length...

The only drawback to the F1 box I see is the input shaft enters the box under the sector and this often moves the steering column toward you at the toeboard. The Mustang boxes might work well but I don't care for the look at all...

7. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thunderbirdesq, I just did an F1 swap into my AV8 flattie last night. I wish I had talked to you earlier, this is the first time I have read about the orientation of the steering shaft being on the bottom where on my 29 A column came out of the top of the box. It was a total pain in the ass since it moved my column right into the pedals. I had to squeeze it forward a few inches to get it to clear. I have a quarter inch from the box to block after I clearenced the block to make it fit, I will have to remove the header and recess it to clear the steering box. I wish I knew about this but now that its done it steers so smooth it was worth it. Mighta gone a different direction if I was paying attention. I had to pull the motor and trans to get the box out. I ended up cutting the mounting flange off the model a box and removing the mounting flange from the F1 box, I shortened the mount and sunk it into the frame rail(I could have cut more off and saved alot of trouble) Make sure you mark which end the mounting flange is down(or rear) so when you install it on the F1 box the angles right. I had to shorten the steering column and shaft. Just welded it back and its slick as snot. Its splined. Now I am looking for a 7in pitman arm to clear a header.