Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 spindle steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Looking for F1 spindle ideas.
    The F1 spindle as most know has the ugly "ring" that holds the steering arm on the drivers side.
    Is there any way to incorporate another better looking steering arm using the existing steering boss? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429846655.727948.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429846711.278726.jpg
    Looking through old posts, most grind off this ring and weld fill the remaining hole left behind,,,,or find another passenger side spindle.
    Does anyone know if a model A standard steering arm be bolted into the spindle using a home made adaptor.
    Any reason this would not work?
    Note this is a picture of a Right Hand Drive setup of Model A and F1.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think either scenario would I haven't tried it but I think the standard issue hoop style
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hoop-Style-Steering-Arm-Ford-Spindle,1167.html
    or slingshot style http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-Upper-Steering-Arm-Plain-6-1-4-Inch-Tapered,3295.html Should work.

Those links aren't a suggestion that you buy from that vendor although some seem to think they are the are the only ones selling hot rod parts. It just says I'm pooped from a long day and that was real easy.

3. Another option I thought of is using part of the arm to the tie rod bolt hole and cut off the arm extension.
    Would just need a bolt on arm to join to the steering box.
    So many ideas

4. Since the hole in the A spindle is high and the hole in the F-1 spindle low, it looks like the steering arm
    would line up with the axle and it wouldn't have enough length to bend it up to clear the axle. Probably why the F-1 arm has the big loop to it. Personally, I'd trim the ugly off and use bolt on arms, or just use
    car spindles that already have good looking arms.
    f-1 mod 2.JPG f-1 with arms.JPG

5. Yea, do love the look of car spindles.
    Do especially like 32/34 spindles, worth the issue of adapting them to my A build.
    Will see what the swap meet gods bring to me :)

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The Hoop style steering arms are a PITA to get mounted if you are also running the F1 brakes. The slingshot or even better, the tab mounted V style arm would be what I'd use. Otherwise I found it's tough to get enough room to work in there with the wheel cylinder installed.

As for the steering arm, I just used a second passenger side spindle. I've got a pair of Driver side spindles now that I'd like to use too, I just need another steering arm. I think the F100 pas side arm might fit but I'm not sure. The alternative may be to cut another driver side arm down.

7. Patmanta, yes do like the idea of cutting down the arm and just using it to join the tie rod onto.
    Just need to add a a steering arm to drivers side.

patmanta likes this.
  8. vwdave30

vwdave30

2 driverside spindles

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  9. Always wondered how or what Doane Spenser used for the arms and if he machined the snout on the F-1 spindle to fit the smaller Lincoln bearings.

10. vwdave30

vwdave30

Yeah i have never found a good pic of the steering arms and have wondered about the bearings myself

patmanta likes this.
  11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've been trying to figure out the Doane Spenser steering setup for a while now. I've never seen a good enough picture to be able to tell if he cut a F1 steering arm down or if he used a F100 passenger side arm.

I don't know if the F1 and F100 steering arms are the same as far as the drag link spacing or not.

$_35.JPG
    (not my image)