Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 drums with 5 on 4 1/2 pattern, Mustang or others?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Richie R, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Hello
    Been over many many threads on 48 to 52 F1 drums fitted to early rods, I need new drums for my Model A RPU but ideally want to run 5 on 4 1/2 stud pattern
    Is there a drum in 5 on 4 1/2 that will fit over a F1 hub once the hub has been redrilled to matching stud pattern. Even if the centre bore needs to be machined.
    Being in Australia I cannot go down to the local NAPA store and use their cross match systems.
    Our engineers do not like redrilled brake drums for another stud pattern as engineering approval certificate is required for hotrods in Australia for registration for road use.

Anyone tried to use early mustang drums complete on early ford spindles,, I know these are only 10" but are commonly available here from everyone swapping to disc brakes.
    More hoping there is there a passenger drum in 11" already to bolt in

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

So the engineers are ok with more holes in the hub... But not the drum?

... I used rear drums off an 80s f-150 to replace worn out ones ford had a f-100 for awhile that had 5x4.5 pattern ... Might be a step in the right direction

3. No but easy to hide ;)

4. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i used to be a Ford counterman. the trivial shit that stays with me haunts me always. that application was the 83-86 F100 with the "2750lb" 9-inch rear axle as opposed to the 3300lb version in F150's. nice axle to grab for narrowing because it had the 3.150 "Galaxie" ends on the housing and 31 spline axles thick as a babys arm with the 4.5 pattern already on them. unfortunately it had 10 x 2.5 brakes, which dont help the OP

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If they used the same backing plate... (Which they probably did)... I think that might be your drum ... I forgot to mention ... On the stock application wider shoes were used so the drum does have a 2 1/2" shoe surface for 2" shoes on the f-1 ... But has the correct offset for hub and backing plate

6. Are standard F1 front and rear drums the same?

7. And is 10" x 2 1/2 drums on this the same as a mustangs?

8. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I don't know if this helps you or not but the drums on my 62 Thunderbird are 11 1/32" x 3"
    For the front and 11 I/32" x 2 1/2" for the rear with 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern