Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest F**ked In Argentina: Photos Of The Con

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 18, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

F**ked In Argentina: Photos Of The Con

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. seatex

seatex

Okay, okay...........I have TJJ#3 in my cart right now, waiting on the shifter knob to keep it company..........now about that shifter knob................:D:D:Do_O

3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Even now, I'd be tempted.....

4. I haven't seen the article although my pal slick50 pickup up the book for me at the roundup I haven't been over to see him yet.

What's the story? HRP

5. @Ryan - When I read the article in TJJ #3, I kept wanting to see better "photographic evidence" (not just the B&W photos of the Bill Johansson e-mails) ... so thanks for sharing these (albeit low-rez) color images with us.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a list of all the cars "bought" along with pricing:

list.jpg

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

90k worth of cars bought without putting hands on them?
    Thats the gist I'm getting... asking to be burned at that rate...

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The basic gist of the story is this:

Guy finds a source for cheap Fords in Argentina. Guy checks all kinds of references. Guy does everything short of flying to Argentina. Guy sends the money. Other, very rich and very "dangerous" guys send the money as well... All get screwed.

But there is so much more to it than that... It's crazy. Absolutely crazy.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thought ths was going to be anothr GP Bugatti scam story. The make repops down ther and try to sell them as real ones. Bob

10. one can't really match the prices of those cars (without seeing them in person) to those pictures.....but aren't some of those prices similar to state side cars in similar condition? the 36 looked pretty nice.....they don't look like any were right hand drive or phaetons...what gives? I know; get a copy of "TJJ#3 :)

11. ACME Gal

ACME Gal

That Bill Johansson Guy should sleep with one eye open....for the rest of his days. What a F**cker!

12. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

We need more info Ryan! Based on that last picture in The Jalopy Journal #3 and the way you left us hangin my mind tells me someone took care of this con. At least that would make for a somewhat happy ending to the story.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So when I wrote this story, we thought we had Bill located in New Zealand and we were hoping that by the time our book went to press, we'd have at least somewhat of an idea of what the final outcome would be.

That was two years ago or so and nothing ever really happened that we know of. In fact, for all we know Bill is still in New Zealand and still free to screw folks over. Of course, he could have moved on by now as well.

What makes this con so hard to address is that the crime ignores borders of all types and all over the world. In the specific con we address in the story, the cars were paid for in American dollars by Americans. And that money was sent to Argentina.

Cash was used, so American authorities weren't interested in the crime. And, of course, since it was American dollars from Americans, the Argentine authorities weren't all that helpful either.

Anyway, all of these different countries and all the different currencies, etc... make this a very hard story to investigate - both from a journalistic and a criminal standpoint.

No one really wants to touch it... And the guys that were screwed are really just trying to forget the deal these days. They've given up on it in MOST cases.

But yeah, he's still out there... and I'd bet he's still screwing people.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes , have heard of the scams this guy ran, but it wasn't just Americans he screwed , some Kiwis got burned as well. Obviously the guy is keeping a very low (snake belly) profile.

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've been dealing in cars my whole adult life and my rule of thumb has always been to know somebody that knows the person I'm buying from.Or an awesome Ebay reputation.Even the car in my avatar was bought over the phone from halfway across the country because of the owner being friends with a guy who was friends with my dad.I've bought and sold a lot of cars that way and never had a problem.I can smell a rat halfway across the planet.

16. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

The 34 body in my avatar came out of Argentina,it was rough but I knew that and a friend of a friend looked at it before I paid any money.Just my own expierience.Have heard a lot of scam stories too.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, having a lot of money, sucks common sense right out of ya.

pat59 likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Simple minded way of looking at it really... or maybe you didn't read the story in TJJ#3. While a few big money guys were involved for sure, the main character of the story was not one. He was just a guy that REALLY wanted a '32 roadster... and thought he found a way to afford one, but didn't.

More of a story of "it's too good to be true" than that of "stupid rich guy."

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Read the story and my statement may seem simple minded, but often times true. What's the difference between someone falling for "too good to be true" and "stupid rich guy" dumping out his wallet at the deal of the century? 1K...5K.....100K? Not trying to bitch, just really wanting to know the difference.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My opinion here... When you say something like "having a lot of money, sucks common sense right out of ya," you are eluding to the common misconception that people get rich out of luck and lack the common sense of the "common" man. A good example of this is a rich guy that spends 500k on a build and then drives it through a hail storm or worse yet, doesn't drive it at all.

Our subject of this story doesn't even begin to meet this criteria though... First and foremost, he's not rich. So given the before mentioned misconception, he must have common sense - right?

Regardless, this wasn't a story about a rich guy that blew some money... and because he had so much of it, it didn't matter to him. Far from it.

This was a story about a guy that's pretty similar to a lot of us. He was a normal guy that really wanted a '32 roadster. In fact, he wanted one so badly that he took a risk... one that he tried to mitigate as best he could, but a risk none the less... And that risk really hit him hard. It broke him.

Some might call it greed. Some might call it senseless... But at the end of the day, I know the guy... and I know it was done purely out of passion for a car he didn't think he would ever be able to afford otherwise.

vintage6t, Saxman, Kiwi 4d and 3 others like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not what I was eluding to, but thanks for a little more clarification on the buyers state of mind or intent. Sometimes, when my wallets feeling fat, I tend to jump without thinking things all the way through or maybe ignoring a bit of info. I'm just a regular guy, but I've known wealthy folks that have done it. Bottom line is, it sucks when it happens.

22. Rckt98

Rckt98

This is the first I have heard of this con. There are a lot of cars in New Zealand that came out of Argentina, there was a guy that bought a heap of them over around 20 years ago. A mate has a 36 roadster that came from there only a few years ago. I have never heard of "Bill" but could make some enquiries if it would help.
    Russell

23. Not sure if said roadster was on list A or B? Not that it really matters.....
    I dropped a check in a mailbox once for $8000. The check went to Austin, and I got a 64 Belair. While waiting for the car, I thought to myself - what the fuck was I thinking???

If it had never shown up, I would only be able to blame myself and I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry for me.
    Madonna_-_Don_t_Cry_For_Me_Argentina_93624_38302_Australia.jpg

24. The grammar Nazis are watching.....

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I never cared. :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. Does this mean I'm not banned?

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

There are a few people down here that have been burnt in similar deals as well, most likely not by the aforementioned suspect(s). They all lost various sums of money for cars that never materialised from the other side of the world. If it's too good to be true, then it really is too good and best passed. Human nature is that we believe it will never happen to us but when you trust someone you don't know, unfortunate things do happen and once they have your money, they're happy. Multiply this a few times and it's quite a lucrative scam from their point of view.

28. I havent read the artical in the Journal, but if the thief is down here, he could be found. NZ is a small country, hopefully he shriveled up and died.

29. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I might be able to add a little to the mystery, I'm pretty sure this is the same guy.
    In Australia, back in the late 80's early 90's (pre Internet days) a fella advertised a deuce roadster for sale in the local restored cars, well my good mate( and ryan you'll know who it is--railway under house--) replied to advert, a deal was struck via phone, the seller requested money deposited into bank.
    My mate got suspicious and said he'll drive the 7 hours and do the deal in person. That's when it went cold.
    A follow up piece was written in the magazine at a later date warning of the scam, apparently a number of people fell victim to this dude.
    It just sound very similar to what you investigated.

Spoggie likes this.
  30. SimonSez

SimonSez

He was definitely around in NZ 20 years or so ago - I remember being shown a pile of pictures of cars that could be bought through Bill back then, but his reputation wasn't good even then so I passed.