Register now to get rid of these ads!

f-100 spindles on model A axle. Ever done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i've got a couple f-100 spindles/brake assemblies. just curious if anyone's ever used the f-100 spindles on an A axle. measuring the A kingpin boss it's 2 3/8" as is the f-100. However, a dropped Super Bell axle has 2 1/4" bosses for the 37-48 spindles correct?

wondering if anyone's used the f-100 spindles on an A axle. i've done the conversion on my a of using 46-48 spindles and the adapters for f-100 brakes and it's awesome. just thinking since i've got the f-100 spindles too i might not have to buy 48 spindles (for another project that is).

Anyone ever done it? Couldn't find anything on it. Thanks
    -ace

2. sodas38

sodas38

Ace,
    The king pins on the F100 are a tad bit larger than the king pins for the Model A. I believe all you need to do is ream out the axle to fit the F100 king pin.

Or you could have some bushings made that would fit the F100 spindles and allow them to take the Model A type king pin (or even use the 37-41 style pins). But, I think you might find that the F100 king pin is longer than the Model A, I'm not sure on that though.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well if i ream it i can use the f-100 kingpin it shouldn't be a problem if it's longer than an A because it will be using the f-100 spindles.

Hmm. interesting. i'm sure it's going to end up that i just need to bite the bullet and buy 46-48 spindles... just trying to do it with what i've already got.

Thanks for the tips Sodas, anyone else is appreciated too.

4. 59NASH

59NASH

I have done this, but I have not run it yet. I reamed out the axle to the larger kingpin diameter. Everything went together good. I am not sure about the camber though, mine just dosen't look right. I have not measured it.

I used a 48 Ford axle.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The kingpin angles are SUPPOSEDLY different...but I've heard of people doing it and they say there was no issue!
    I don't know where it stands.
    I don't have a good pair of car spindles (just a right 48) BUT have a perfect set of F100 spindles that came with my brake system (with new kingpins already installed!)...so I'm very interested in this myself.

6. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well, i'm going to look at a set of '40 spindles and apparently the backing plates say "bendix"...so, someone may have converted them over to f-100 brakes like i was originally planning.

If that doesn't pan out i'm going to try and use the f-100 spindles after a little test fitting and whatnot. If anyone else has done it, or has any comments post 'em!
    -ace

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i wanna do the same thing, how much bigger is the f100 spindal, couldnt a guy use the the f100 axel and when dropping the a axel use the f100 bosses

8. Killer

Killer

I've done it.

reamed the axle then bent the negative caster out of the it.

worked slick.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent!
    Where did you do the bending Jason?
    Did you heat it up and take a bit at both ends like you were doing a drop or just bend right in the middle of the axle?

10. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Killer, do you mean camber angle? Caster could be adjusted by the wishbone. Also, did you use a Model A axle or a new superbell axle? the height of the kingpin bosses are slightly different between the two.

Junk yard, i'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean run the whole f-100 axle that wouldn't work easily since it's setup for dual leaf springs, not a "buggy" spring, like the A.

11. Killer

Killer

sorry, I have a cold...yeah camber

heated her up bout halfway between the spindle and the wishbone on both sides... put a cheater tube on the spindles, pulled till we had zero or so...

I think I had to shim the bearings on the kingpins... that part is blurry now.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Right on! Hell of a lot simpler than I figured too!
    Bearing shimming will be an obvious thing so thats no biggie at all...

Thanks Jason...;)

13. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Sorry to be a pain but was that an A axle you used Killer, a stock one that is? i've got an A axle. instead of buying a dropped axle, maybe i'll sweep the frame to get the drop. My A that's on the road has a super bell dropped axle, the kingpin bosses are 2 1/4" tall, same as a 42 axle i have. I'm assuming this is so that you could use 37-48 spindles. The A and f-100 bosses are 2 3/8", only 1/8" difference, slightly taller, if i measured right that is. I suppose that could be shimmed. Thanks killer.
    -ace
    don't suppose you've got a photo lying around do ya :)

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ace...you might be able to get one of the HAMBers who drop axles to ream your pin holes and then drop your A axle, but use an F100 spindle in place of a car spindle during the process. The result would be a dropped axle WITH the correct KP inclination for the truck spindles.
    Worth inquiring about...and there are several HAMBers dropping axles...

15. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

that's what my original post was about, using a stock A axle with f-100 spindles. Looks like it would be worth checking into. If i can't get these other brakes of a '40 i have lined up, then this just might be the ticket. We'll see!

Thanks guys!
    -ace

16. lyinlow

lyinlow

just curious if anyone has figured out if this is possible?? if so what is the difference in the camber angle?? im thinking if its possible i will just indicate the axle up on the mill and tilt it to compensate the camber angle difference.. from what i measured the kingpins for the f1 spindles are about .060/inch bigger than the model a, as for the boss height im not sure yet, i have to take some more measurements..

hope someone can give me a answer on weather or not its been done..

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

KILLER already said, in this very thread that he did it and it worked out fine.:confused:

If you have access to a Mill, the axle AND the spindles..all your answers are right in front of you.

I'd pay attention to the potential thinning of the kingpin boss by angle drilling the hole larger. You'll also need to resquare the top and bottom of the boss to the kingpin hole to allow for proper shimming and thrust bearing alignment.
    Will the diameter difference of the Kingpin be enough to give a round hole with the angle factored in?

Sometimes things get overthunk...
    Don't you own a torch? :D

18. lyinlow

lyinlow

my apologies :) like you said.. guess i was overthinkin it :)
    as for the angle im not sure what the difference would be.... i do agree tho that there may not be enough material to angle bore them... could result in a scary situation....im thinking ill give it a try and see what i get. im sure its nothing i cant fix:D:D
    i will take pics as i go so others can see!!

this is my first time building something like this, so i apologize for all the questions...
    btw is there a website that shows in detail how to, shim and assemble the kingpins? im sure theres some tricks...

Thanks again