Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ Wiring not EZ at all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he hit it pretty well no matter what wire set you use or if you start with a batch of rolls of wire.

It still has to be easier than sitting on the side of the road at night trouble shooting the tail lights on your buddy's roadster when the builder wired it with ALL red wire. Try that one when you are headed to a rod run on a Friday night.

From what I've seen almost every aftermarket wiring set uses the GM color code system that has been around since they started using Plastic coated wire on GM cars making them pretty simple to figure out for most of us.

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

For me wiring is a nice peaceful way to pass the day......after learning to read and use hyd schematics on airplanes in the worlds finest navy, reading an electric diagram for a car is ABC to me:) Body work kicks my ass regularly though!

Good luck Dane...I hope you get it soon...love to see that avatar in person.

3. No argument there; I haven't been impressed with any of the aftermarket harnesses I've seen. They're simply a shortcut, and you're dependent on the expertise, quality control, and follow-up service of the vendor, which in this case seems to be lacking in several places. For the guy who is wiring only one or two cars, they can simplify the hassle of getting and/or identifying where various wires go, as well as offering 'one stop' shopping.

I was an electrician for over 30 years, as was my father. One piece of advice he gave me proved to be true over and over again.... 'Don't ever take anybody's word about a circuit; verify it for yourself. It's your life that depends on it." While the 'life' part probably doesn't apply here because of the voltages involved, it's sure saved me a lot of troubleshooting time over the years....

4. captmullette

captmullette

only way to go, made 1 call with 1 problem, great service, highly recommended...........

5. aldixie

aldixie

I have used EZ wiring kits four times now with no problems. I have another one ready to use in my Model A. Can normally do one in a day and half. Using one in my current 50 Chevy with fuel injection. But there again I rewired my first car when I was 13, I'm now 47 and got a degree in telecommunications engineering so following schematics is no problem.

6. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Done about a dozen EZ wire kits...never had issues. Worked in everything from 1950 Pontiacs to 68 Chargers. Doing a 56 Ford now...instructions a bit cheesy but if you are electric savvy and have wiring diags for the car's original switches...no probs.

7. Frank32

Frank32

I installed one in my truck, piece of cake. I have done a few complete jobs before using the ez wire kit maybe that helped...

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Aren't the wires labeled? How hard could it be? I wired mine on my own, in a short amount of time, with NO labeling. Well, it's been a year, I hope things worked out for the OP.

9. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

installing a ez kit in my 40 today. took my time and used the booklet as review. wire location every 8 inches. couldn't of been any easier. I hope it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

ez kit was easy. broke down each area seperate. plenty of wire for application. should go good.

Attached Files:

11. belair

belair

I did mine, it was e z and I'm not all that bright.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

American , excellent help line,great service

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There is only 5 wires to headlights: hi-beam(light green), low beam(tan), right turnsignal(dark blue),left turnsignal(light blue, parking lights(brown). Rear 3 wires: left turnsignal/brake(yellow),right turnsignal/brake(green), parking and licensee light (brown). Ground black. It is not that difficult.

Ago

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to believe you, and would hope that would work on my 1930 Roadster, but I know from years of reading on the HAMB that other electricaly gifted people will say there is another way to do it. I'll never understand how some can wire things but have trouble sanding bodywork smooth. Bob

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Get a Painless kit! Less pain and more progress.

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I installed a Painless f.I. harness and relay for a GM "crossfire" system---pretty easy. I don't know about EZ, but Painless sure was.

17. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

ago
    hd lp wires are all there and color coded as stated but how about the rest of the car. i could of used chicken wire to run the lps. ez kit was easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Take the wiring in stages Lights, gauges, ignition etc. Don't look at the overall project, it will get you confused. What kind of turn signal/brake light/ hazard do you plan? It gets wired thru the steering column if you go that way. Google : How to build hotrods.com Some good tips on that site about wiring.

Ago

19. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

I plan on an ididt column. I'm debateing whether to go with column with key or seperate switch. I at the column point now so I should have one in the next few days.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Column GM switch is just a rod going down the column and clicking a switch. Remote switch on dash is neater IMHO.

Ago

21. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

I agree on the non column switch. I was trying to find a switch with a ford key. I was checking out early F150 and Mustang dash switches. The universal switches are avail to but the key looks like a camper storage lock key. Any ideas on a compact Ford ign dash switch? 40 ford dash

22. Dizzie

Dizzie

I installed a Rebel Wire harness in my '34 pickup that I am building and was very happy with it. As stated before, you should have basic knowledge of auto wiring if you attempt any of them.

23. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

your right dizzie. if you dont know the basic's your already behind the 8 ball. glad to hear we're all using differant brand's of harnesses with good success.

24. I did my first rewire by myself using individual parts and it came out ok. My second rewire I used and EZwire kit and while the components were good, the so-called schematic was incomplete childish pictographs. The next one was a Rebelwire which was not much different. So this last time I used an American Autowire kit. This one was great. The parts were quality but the main thing was that the wiring diagram was good in that it showed where things originate and where they terminate unlike the others that just show the termination of the circuit. I learned electronics in the Air Force and I like to see the complete circuit so as to understand how the electricity travels and this kit does that.
    If you are new to rewiring, this is a good product to use as it helps you understand what you are doing instead of just hooking up terminals to stuff.

25. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

56don
    thanks for the info. i plan on buying a loom for my 39 pick up soon and with all these responses and ideas its helpful.

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I also used the American Autowire 2 times. I like the idea that the wires terminate at the fuse box. that way you can choose how long your wiring is. the component end has the crimped terminals.

Ago

27. Just finished wiring my 31 Model A using Rebel Wiring, happy with Bob Miller's set up, good people.

28. coupeperson

coupeperson

I agree with you. Those who say they have no problem with using EZ are experienced at wiring up vehicles and/or DONT read instructions.
    Crappiest instruction manual Ive ever seen.
    Dont bother criticizing this post I wont read them.

29. Nice... a 10 year old zombie post. Somewhere I read that EZ and Kwik Wire were a company that split off in the past. I used a Kwik Wire, excellent instructions and a great schematic. In most cases you should also have the OG schematic for your car when questions come up.