Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Extremely rare Bandimere supercharger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Apr 27, 2009.

1. colorado51

colorado51

I was going through some of my car show pictures and ran across these and thought I’d post them up here for you guys to check out.

The car was nothing too special in my opinion, just another “over done” 55 Chevy, the engine / supercharger however is another story!

Enjoy.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Bob Lowry like this.
  2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm assuming (uh-oh) this is THE Bandimere, as in Dragstrip?!

Hmmmm, interesting.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow, that's pretty neat. Any more pics of the drive system?

4. colorado51

colorado51

Yep, it sure is.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Funny you should post this. I mentioned it yesterday in the blown 235 thread!

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Shame the rest of the engine compartment doesn't go with it,,looks lost in all the new age stuff..any drawings of the inner workings ?

7. colorado51

colorado51

Exactly.

That’s why I didn’t take any pic’s of the car itself, as I said, typical "over done" tri-five Chevy, but the engine is cool.

8. colorado51

colorado51

They also had a brief stint making blowers for V8 applications as well.

9. Neat writeup in about a 1990 R&C about the blower.

10. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

[​IMG]

This is a picture of a Blower setup that John
    Bandimere Sr. had running in 1955 (on a '55 chevy)-

11. 6inarow

6inarow

The valve cover looks vaguely familiar. It needs my hold down knobs......

12. Yeah, you need to post tha VC over in the inline group thread I started for it:p Before I start talking trash about you:D

13. smarg

smarg

14. Funny this subject would come up today. I always make notes of interesting magazine articles, which issue they were in, page number, etc., and then copy them down on 3X5 cards for future reference. I then punch a hole in one corner and use note rings to keep them all together. I keep the cards right here at my desk so they are handy to look up information.

Yesterday, my friend was looking for some information on inlines for his '52 Chevy. I dug out my trusty index cards to look up some articles for the information. Well, the following article was one of the ones we checked out yesterday, and it's great!

I thought I'd scan it and post it up here to help add to this topic. Sorry if the article isn't that clear, I'm still a rookie at using my scanner.

This article was in Rod and Custom, December 1989 in the Roddin' Around column on page 20.

The article reads:

Rare Air

The late John Bandimere Sr., was not only a pioneer drag strip and speed shop operator in the Denver area, but he was also an inveterate inventor, a skilled machinist, and a long-time proponent of supercharging for the best cure for Denver's rarified atmosphere. Back in 1949, John bought a brand-new Chevrolet sedan delivery, and immediately designed and cast (in his own small foundry) a manifold and drive kit to mount a GMC 2-71 blower on it. He actually designed a complete kit, even casting his own pulleys for a triple V-belt drive. However, according to John, only three such kits were ever made.
    This one belongs to Joe Umphenour, whom many may remember for his hard-charging Denver-area GMC six powered dragsters. Joe acquired it, complete as you see it (other than the Gilmer drive), in the late 60s from a friend who rescued it at an auction. Joe had been saving it for something special, and figured that his frame off, Saturn Yellow, '56 Chevy sedan delivery project would be just the thing. Other than the blower, the beautifully detailed engine is a basically stock 261 Chevy bored to 270 inches.
    Joe's friend, Dick Baty (whose Jimmy powered '55 Nomad was in our August issue), found a second complete Bandimere setup in a trash barrel in a Denver shop, but it had been mercilessly cut up (he kept it anyway). Magnacharger manufacturer Jerry Magnuson mentioned that he also had a Bandimere Chevy six blower setup in the late '50s when he lived in Greeley, Colorado, but it was very likely the same one seen here because he said it had a '49 Oldsmobile carburetor on it (as Joe's does). Anyone know where the third one is?
    If you're as nuts about sixes as these guys, you should probably join Inliners International ($18 a year, Ed Hosier, Membership Chairman, R.D. 3, Box 83, Rte. 44, Pleasant Valley, NY 12569), an excellent national association for all inline enthusiasts. If you're looking for a blower setup similar to this for your early (pre-'63) Chevy six, contact Hunter Performance, 9302 Livernois, Houston, TX 77080; (713) 464-2930. They've recently cast their own manifolds to accept a B & M blower on a 261, 235, or 216.

E

Attached Files:

15. Thats the one I was thinking of OG!

16. Hey, what can I say? Great minds think alike!

17. DAVID BANDIMERE

DAVID BANDIMERE

Can you post article? or give month?

18. 73RR

73RR

...that thread was from 2009......try sending a pm and see if they are still around.

19. I can dig that issue up. Shoot me a PM as a reminder please.