Register now to get rid of these ads!

extended quarters on a kustom ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Jul 6, 2007.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ok. after getting back from the cinematic, I keep thinking of kustomlincolnladies (and husbands) lincoln. Great car!! I love the extended quarter panels and continental kit! Question is .. can a kustom look to long?.. I'm contemplating doing a similar treatment (extended quarters and conti kit) to my 65 convertible electra. I have a 65 hardtop parts car that could easily rape parts from (thats the car I drove to the cinematic) . My convertible is still along ways from drivable. My electra is alot longer than kll's lincoln and I'm concerned that it might be to long if I extended the quarters. opinions welcome.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

In my opinion, the biggest problem with a lot of rear overhang, is being able to keep the vehicle from scraping the ground when entering and exiting sloped driveways, etc. There are ways to minimize the grief (drive at an angle, rollers hidden just under the bumper, etc.), so it's really just a matter of preference.

You could always take a side photo and slice/add to get a "feel" for what you could end up with. Maybe someone here would photochop it for you. Stu

3. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Do you have a straight-on side shot of the convertible? Post it up so we can Photoshop it to see what it might look like.

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

No, sorry.. Computer idiot!!! Think 65 caddy without the fins.

5. leadsled01

leadsled01

Dragging the rear is part of the fun of a full kustom. Besides I have an airbag set-up for the convertible.

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Instead of extending the quarters, how about sectioning/recessing the trunk area so that you get the look of the extended quarters without actually lengthening the car?

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

A '65 Buick is a big slab sided car with a flat rear bumber area.

I think if you try & lengthen the 1/4s on that car with a Conti Kit yer just gonna end up ruining your car.

Think about it & before you start, Go find some '70s low rider mags.. Or if yer real lucky find some that were put out by African Amercans in that time frame.

Im not truing to be funny or racist or anything, but thats what the Black low riders were doing.

The ORIGINAL Bling Bling......... Remember HUGGY BEAR on Starsky & hutch ?

8. leadsled01

leadsled01

Do you think this would be easier than extending the quarters?

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

Huggy bear was the coolest snitch ever.... I am thinking hard about this and will continue to research it.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That car's a huge land barge to begin with, it'll look ridiculous with extended quarters.

11. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ok, thats a "no"... Do you think maybe just a Winfeild inspired paint job? (fade or panel)

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yes, that'll do it, D'agostino built an Electra hardtop in the sixties with a Winfield fade job, I'm sure there's pics of it around here. It was mint green, lovely car.

13. leadsled01

leadsled01

I search here, and googled it but can't find D'agostino 's electra.

14. epinut

epinut

Nads, I think that one was a -64.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I love the look of extended quarters and continental kits...on the right car. Your 65 is much too new for either treatment. Kustoms can be too long...remember proportion? My 57 Ford I think looks great with a continental kit, but a Chevy of the same year looks awful. Personally, I think 55-58 are the years that cars looked good with continental kits, with a couple exceptions. A buddy of mine did extended rear quarters on his 56 Buick Roadmaster, and I thought it looked awesome, even with no wheel. Proportion is key and knowing when to stop is important. Way too many cars have been ruined because things go changed just to say that they've been changed. Look what the Kustom pissing match did to show cars in the 60's?