Register now to get rid of these ads!

exploding oil filter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedtudor, Aug 22, 2010.

1. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Good news and bad news, cranked up the flathead for the first time today. It fired right up and idled just nice, but after a couple of blips on the throttle, the (new) oil filter EXPLODED and blew oil all over my floor...someone call BP, I need a clean-up crew...lol
    Anyone ever see a spin-on filter come apart at the roll seam around the base?

Attached Files:

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Is/was that a Fram oil filter?? Stu

3. bab59

bab59

WIX Filters

4. dbradley

dbradley

Yep, another cheap ass ORANGE filter.

5. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

had one on a 57 chev split up the side, think as you did right after oil change, air in filter compresses or something when oil hits it, dont know really what causes it, lets see..............:confused:

6. There was a thread here with similar carnage a couple years back. Something was obstructing an oil passage.

7. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Man what a mess better get it cleaned before the wife gets home or else you will have to sell the flat head and i have a good home for it my 29 would look good with that thing setting in it .

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yes, a fram filter, the guys at the parts store had never seen one like that....the replacement worked out fine.

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have a theory.. maybe the filter has an anti drainback valve (check valve) and you hooked up the remote filter backwards.....

+ it does look like a Fram... :D

Everyone knows Fram oil filters are CRAP... :D

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Only have seen one filter pop, was from a cold start and culpret was stuck oil pressure relief valve caused by condensation/corosion from engine [455 Buick] sitting for a while..

11. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

whatever the reason, who would've thought that a flathead oilpump could make enough pressure to create that kind of noise. We were joking just moments earier abour 'blowing something up'

12. Stop using those " orange " filters!! Use the catalog at the parts store to X-reference another brand filter, or ask the counter person to do that for you.

13. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

ok, ok, guys I promise to change filter brands, seriously, I had never heard that fram had such a bad reputation...51 y.o. and still learnin'

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

For the sake of your very, very, pretty engine, verify the flow is going in the correct direction through your filter, and don't use Fram, as noted here, maybe use a Wix, or a Napa Gold.

15. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yes I checked b4 AND after the direction of flow, the replacement filter worked fine, still not sure what happened, maybe just a junk filter..NO MORE FRAM FOR ME.

16. Yes, search Fram here. There is a link to a very good oil filter study.

17. ironpile

ironpile

IMO,The oil pressure wouldnt get any higher than the pump could put out.Sounds like a defective filter.I only use "real" brand name filters,my vehicles are to valuable to ruin.

18. erlomd

erlomd

yeah, my dad always bought fram filters and Ive always used them also. never had a problem with them, but after reading a bunch of threads here for a while now, it seems that fram used to be one of the best. some where along the lines the product went to the shitter. dont really know the whole story behind that but, it surely is a shame though...oh well, maybe somebody here can enlighten us to the fram is crap link on the hamb.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Work on diesel trucks for years,and always made it a policy to fill filter with oil before install but new shop foreman made a deal to change over to Fram filters,after numerous road calls for leaking filters,and one blown engine we went back to Baldwin oil and fuel filters and Wix air filters.Just cut a Fram filter in half and you will see just how cheap they are made.Only good thing about a Fram filter is the fancy black grip shit they put on the outside.

20. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

had my 360 suck the filter element in a fram into a oil stopping ball of piss me the fuck off.

21. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

Same thing happened to a buddy of mines 69 351c mustang, been using K&N filters ever since, said they have a higher burst pressure.

22. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

Yup, FRAM = poo :)
    years ago, a friend was working at an AMC dealer, the owner had a sand drag jeep, which ironically was SBC powered. This was a stout motor, roller cam, etc, something like 600HP (which in early 80's was stout:)....anyways, they had it in the shop one day to do some work, and when they fired it, the pressure relief stuck, and fired the filter clear across the shop (on the floor).....suddenly they became believers!!

James

23. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

yep the fram filter has a bad name. i picked up my o/t engine from the machine shop and they told me #1 do not use a fram oil filter #2 don't use a oil with out zinc in it #3 prime the motor good and #4 don't use no damn fram oil filter!!!

24. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

I have heard that fram filters having been blowing up lately!

25. I was taught to ALWAYS fill the filter first. Got into an argument with the boss and one of our drivers that had never heard of it:rolleyes:

26. 69fury

69fury

pretty black oil for brand new engine on it's first fire...I know oil changes soon but in only a minute of idling?

-rick

27. Droppedhatch

Droppedhatch

Fram filters have been blowing up for ever. The first job I had was at a parts store and if you cut apart a fram filter and a Wix you will see that there is a world on difference between oil filters. I have never heard of anyone blowing up a Wix filter. And I have never heard anything bad about the K&N filters.

28. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any post that said to check the pressure relief valve.

I had one burst on initial fire-up on an AMC Jeep engine. It sprayed everywhere for a few seconds until I could turn it off. Bad filter that split at the seam.

I put on a second filter. Start it... pop, spray...

It couldn't be two bad filters in a row. It HAD to be overpressuring the filter.

As much as I hated to take apart a freshly assembled engine, I took down the oil pan and took the oil pump apart.
    Sure enough, the NEW oil pump had a stuck relief-plunger letting the oil pressure get way too high.
    The fix was to simply push the plunger a few times then put it all back together.

Never had a moment's problem with that engine even though I ran it very hard for many years.

You are overpressuring the filter. Look for a restricted passage on the output side, or a stuck pressure relief valve. That is almost certain to be the problem.

The pressure relief valve could be in an engine passage in the block somewhere, or it could be in the pump itself. A good shop manual should be able to point it out for you.

29. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

That is a damn good point, why is that oil so black?

I have run oil 10,000 miles that was not that black...

30. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

ok, easy answer on the issue of the black oil, I was starting up the motor for the first time since I had owned it...bought it 18 months ago, it has been run, just not by ME.