Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Exhaust Manifolds Temp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

How Hot do exhaust Manifolds get? The reason I asked is that I seasoned my barbecue grill today and I thought would it be possible/prudent to seasnon exhasut manifolds...

2. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the high heat grill spray. But you've got to wire the steaks on so they don't fall off.

Flip and repeat. 1/4 mile pass minimum for rare.

Deuces, Truck64 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exhaust gas temps on my diesel are commonly over 1,000 F according to the sensor in the exhaust manifold. As an upper limit 1500 F would be in the danger zone for a street diesel. Running down the freeway without a load mine are about 800 F. That’s a diesel, not sure about gas.

Let’s say I’m talking about a pre-1965 diesel so people don’t get offended.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At engine temp my cast irons run between 4-500 depending on where you check. It's not what they will see climbing a grade for 10 miles. I've used BBQ paint on complete exhaust systems and brush on Eastwood cast iron exhaust paint without seasoning them and they still look great after 8 years.

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Damn... Steak sounds good right about now.....
    And it's barb-a-que weather outside.... :cool:

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

sunbeam likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When I say seasoning my grill what do is bake them around four hundred degrees after coating them with vegetable oil. So could I do something similar using engine oil?

8. mkubacak

mkubacak

When is it not?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any engine oil I've ever had on cast iron exhaust manifolds burns off pretty quickly. I wouldn't waste the time, or the oil. It's just going to be a smoking mess.

Dull glowing cast iron is going to be close to 900º F. Back when I was a kid on the farm in South Dakota we worked well into the night plowing after school in the spring. The exhaust manifold of the old two cylinder John Deere Model 70 would glow a dull red, and I'd light my smokes by touching them to the manifold.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    AVater and warbird1 like this.