Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Exhaust flex pipe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

How long has flex pipe been around? Is it considered 'period correct' for a late-50's - early-60's build?

The PO used a low-bidder muffler shop to connect the 2-1/2" rams-horn manifolds to the 2" glass-packs on back on my '57 Chevy. Never been real happy with the look, thinking about a DYI upgrade with flex pipe, then moving the mufflers back several inches to install cable-style cutouts. Since the car is a Black Widow tribute, I want to move the mufflers and pipes inbord for room for a second set of pipes exiting out in front of the rear wheels. I'll use a hole saw to cut the frame B-W style.

The car is NOT numbers-matching, never will be. But, whatever upgrades I make WILL be perriod correct! Thanks, Tim

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Flex pipe is just a band aid in my opinion, If its on something nice, I would do it rite. I wouldnt cut any holes in the frame either..............flex pipe and holes in the frame sounds like two different extremes to me, one cheap and one high end if done correctly.

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I would just find a good muffler shop and have it done right,
    Never have seen a diy exhaust that looked good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Auburn had flex pipe
    Auburn-Eight-Supercharged-Speedster.jpg

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^
    Not really - that's a bright metal shield for appearance. The tubing is inside.
    When 14 or 15, flex pipe helped a lot of kids get dual pipes on their first car. Their second car probably didn't.
    It was illegal in most states, as well.

6. CME1

CME1

I used flex pipe on a few car's back in my early Hi School day's. Like said before, it was a temp fix, didn't really last long. But it was really easy to use on the 'ol dual exhaust systems. And cheep! Did use a lot of muffler clamps. But that was the '50's and we did what we could afford.

TagMan likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

1956 Lincoln continentals used stainless flex pipe between the manifolds and the tail pipe.

8. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I used flex to connect my headers to the original exhaust until I could get a new system. seemed like every time I went over a speed bump or hit a pot hole it would slip back and then I had to crawl under and jam it back on. A temporary fix for sure.

9. I installed some of this stuff on a gen-set, and found it would leak slightly along its length, at the seams. I dont know if it was because it was cheap junk, or that it was typical for this stuff. Probably doesn't make much difference, as it is all mounted externally.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flexible exhaust pipe works great for mocking up a custom exhaust system - not so good for a permanent installation.

11. Go with stainless steel flex, never rotts.

I am running 2" stainless steel flex and 2" dairy pipeline as tailpipes.
    It was free and I am welder by trade.

Many oval tracks rulebooks mandated flex pipe in the exhaust system, because it required the exhaust to be bolt up instead of people just letting it hang from the headers and falling off.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Sunbeam : The '52-'57 Lincolns DID NOT use Flex pipe for exhaust pipes : it was used for exhaust pipe HEAT SHIELDS/COVERS. I had it originally on my dads '54, & on my '52 & '53, & I've also seen it on '56-'57 Continentals!

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I keep a 5' piece of flex in my garage for when I need to run a car inside in the winter. Unheated garage, and the weather sucks outside. Raise the door a couple of inches, run the flex outside, and there's a lot less danger of CO poisoning.

Wouldn't use it on a car, though. Traditional emergency exhaust repairs with beer cans and hose clamps, yeah, I've done those a few times, but that's because I couldn't afford anything better.

The modern exhaust flex coupling between the engine and pipes might make sense to use if you're breaking things, maybe.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. May 1953 Hot Rod Flexpipe headers and fuel injunction.
    Cheap and high end together is period correct as well.:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017