Register now to get rid of these ads!

Excuse me, this is gonna cost HOW much???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Call the shop near you and get the straight skinny.........

Here is a link to the heart of the matter.

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.ht...ting+ct+txt&WT.srch=1&mtid=1&heading=61541009

You can search for plating services by;
    LOCATIONS SERVED
    NUMBER OF MILES FROM YOUR ZIP
    COMPANY TYPE
    CERTIFICATIONS
    OWNERSHIP
    PRODUCT DETAIL

You can expand your search in this website to include SERVICES RENDERED, COMPANY PROFILE, etc.

2. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

What he said.

Except chrome isn't clear. It reflects the physical surface because it is too thin to have any leveling properties. But it is not see-thru or transparent in any way.

Different auto man. started using chrome over the nickel in the late 20's, so there is no exact time. The earliest use of utomotive decorative chrome plating that I have heard of is the grill and bumpers on the 26 and newer Olds. But that is merely heresay as far as I know.

My Grandpa has a 28 Whippet. The grill shell appears to have not been refinished, and it is chromed (I haven't been able to see its backside to find evidence of replating.) It may have been refinished a very long time ago with chrome also.

3. dgmchrome

dgmchrome

What he said.

The explaination in terms was merely semantics, it was meant to help to be understood in laymans terms, since decorative hex chrome deposits are as a rule are generally very thin, opposed to hard chrome deposits because of higher current densities and oz/gal of chromic are higher .make for thicker deposits per specs for leveling.

4. stretch1963

stretch1963

bollocks to that,you be better off sending it to the uk even with carrage it be cheaper..........

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, a little update on the "Chrome plating vs. fiscal responsibility" dilemma: My brother in law is an engineer for a firm here doing plated plastic OEM stuff. He's offered to help me out. He'll strip the chrome from the stamped steel hood trim pieces, I'll buff and polish them, he'll nickle and chrome plate them. They can't do copper, but I believe I can get these polished up well enough to be acceptable. Not entirely sure yet about the hood ornament, as it's die cast, but I'll look for a little better one. Chromeplaterjosh, you may get a chance to look at that bit! I'm not looking for perfect, and I like the idea of doing the job myself. It'll cost nothing, which certainly sounds better than 5K.

As for the grill, I sanded a little more on one of the bars, 320 then 400, and hit it with some of the Nuvite polish I use on my trailer with a scrap of towel. It sands and polishes easily, and hasn't tarished. I'm wondering if it may be cast aluminum rather than die cast. At any rate, it looks like it will be acceptable as is, at least for now.

6. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey you mite want to check out Eastwood's new product 51008ZP chrome kit say's you can look at video online mite be something you can use
    hope it helps Ken

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Update: Thanks to a tip from a HAMB'r, I've got a complete STAINLESS grill and grill shell, with all the related bits coming from sunny Minnesota! That just leaves the hood trim, and with my brother in laws help, I think it's all covered. Viva la HAMB...

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, HOT DAMN IT'S HERE TONIGHT!!!! (paraphrasing from "A Christmas Story") My "new" grill for the Diamond T arrived via the 'Hound, and it is PERFECT!!! Two tiny dings in one bar, the rest are flawless. The center bar isn't any better than the one I have, but they are repop'd. The best part is the lower center strip with the crank hole is also perfect (mine is peeling chrome and crushed) and the two uppermost trim pieces are stainless, and also perfect. Mine are peeling chrome.

So, my bro-in-law is going to strip the chrome from the hood trims, I'll polish them and he'll plate them for me. So, my chrome bill went from $5,500 to $345 (Greyhound shipping from MN), and I should get that back selling the diecast grill I have. Life is good...:D

Attached Files:

9. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Congrats! Quite the money saver.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

the last gasser we chromed the underside stuff on was 10,600 for underside axle , rear hsg springs etc and the grille, trim and some eng parts aircleaner v/c oil pan was 5900 very nice show quality with many coats of copper and smoothed then nickel and great chrome but damn damn it is high. i have had some 55 grilles powdercoated silver chrome and they look great but to do the pot metal uusally ruins them in the oven??? good luck