Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ex-Don Kendall's '28 Roadster going in for gloss black paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickfunnycar.com, May 4, 2014.

1. I couldn't really see the reason to do that...frame and everything else underneath was all painted/polished or plated so the boys were VERY careful to mask the car completely to prevent any overspray...and they did an excellent job doing that,I expressed that was mucho important.

I just completely cleaned the under carriage yesterday and everything looked like it did before it went in.

Car goes to a Java & Jalopies show (think: Cars & Coffee) in Monterey from 7-9am for it's first outing,most of Don's friends will be there with their hot rods so stay tuned for some pictures...

2. Got a surprise in mind for you guys with this car....stay tuned tomorrow for pictures!

3. I wouldn't have pulled the body. No reason for it.

loudbang likes this.
  4. swifty

swifty

Thanks Stu but it just happens that's the one issue that I haven't got!

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It was so damn nice before, but now it's be-u-ti-ful!!!

Maby a little hand painted, "Don Kendall" on the dash.
    That would being a slight trace of moisture to a any rodders eye.

Good call on the no flames!

6. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

If you're interested, Hop Up still has that issue available

7. Yes they do...I inquired about it and then I found a copy in the stack of paperwork that came with the car.

8. Well showed the car for the first time today,most of Don's friends were there and were very happy with how the car turned out,some are even members here...here's some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    Car was a big hit...
    [​IMG]
    '28 Pickup:
    [​IMG]
    Al & Mary's '32 Coupe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finally...I recently had the magnesium wheels for my funny car polished and staged these shots just to see what the car might look like with different wheels...not perfect but you get the idea...the rears are just a tad too big,lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also...I found out that a tribute to Don is being staged next Thursday at Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley so of course I'll be there front and center with the car...stay tuned for more info and pictures to follow...

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  9. Bump...in case you missed it.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For GAWD'S sake, PLEASE, NEVER put those fat assed tires on that car again. I wouldn't have even posted that pic!:D

11. LOL...just fooling around!
    They're not actually on the car (especially since the front's are a spindle-mount for the funny car),they're just propped up against the original wheels.

At some point I will have another set of wheels/tires just to switch it up a bit...not quite that big though.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay. I can stop looking for cheap air fare to California and concentrate on other things. Red alert cancelled.:D

13. Awesome car, I like how the windshield flows right into the body. Nothing looks better than black!

14. LOL...you crack me up man!
    I'll sneak a picture of the wheels where they belong...on the funny car:
    [​IMG]

Thanks laidout53...windshield is one of the finest points on the car.
    Stay tuned guys,I will pot up pictures of the Don Kendall tribute next week in Carmel Valley, I may actually start a new thread on it just to make sure it get's the attention it deserves...

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This beautiful roadster is THE standing example why a highboy body should be painted with its frame. NO 'tu-tones'...

16. I agree...while I considered painting it red for about 5 minutes,I soon realized I would have to blow the car completely apart because the frame was already gloss black...no other options for me.

17. The roadster turned out beautiful. HRP

18. Hey John,
    The roadster came out fantastic !!
    ---Dean

19. What a great read ! I think I have even seen the funny car before too. I'll have to do some homework to be sure. Beautiful, beautiful roadster. I always love black.