Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ever See The AMBR Winner from 1957? No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 28, 2011.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

I read or heard somewhere that the Big Three Auto makers got the idea of quad lights from Kustoms.

2. Weasel

Weasel

Why is it that so many of the AMBR winners are downright hideous? Is it a bad taste contest for the delusional?

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

yeah they are pretty bad alot of em in my opinion.I liked the Emperor,Ala Kart,Rich Guascos roadster, and pretty much everything 1950-1955

4. I happen to be in Provo, Ut on personal business and went by Ace and Jerry Glass to get a closeup of the '57 AMBR. Jerry has made some changes to it and it was interesting looking at all the magazine articles about it and comparing the "updates."
    Spent some time talking to Jerry, interesting guy with a great outlook on life.
    You may or may not like the cars he builds, but he has been innovative! I'd seen articles on the 3 wheel car he did, but never seen in person. It's quite a piece of work and nice workmanship for a car built from scratch.
    If you're ever in the area, drop by. He charges $3 to help with the light bill, but it's worth it, especially if you get a chance to talk with him.

5. It's not too bad, clearly sports car influenced, probably moves pretty quick. Quad lights might look better angled to match the shocks. I've seen lots worse -

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The more I see it, the more I like it. Nice job Jerry!

7. "It's not too bad, clearly sports car influenced, probably moves pretty quick. Quad lights might look better angled to match the shocks. I've seen lots worse -"

When I talked with Jerry, he told me that for several years, it was the quickest car at the drag strip in Salt lake City. Hopped up flattie with no weight to it, probably hauled pretty good. The dual headlights, even though maybe not appropriate for a hot rod, were definitely unique for '55. Probably a first.

8. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

A friend of mine owns the AMBR from 1952. He has documentation on it. It is still painted the same as it was in 1952. Car is now in Grass Valley, Ca.
    Bob,

9. 62rebel

62rebel

thumbing through old "little pages" from that era, you'll find a LOT of cars built along that style......

trends come and go. quad lights are one trend that rightly fizzled.

he did do one thing that lots of guys ask about today: he made legroom in an A for a tall guy! just scallop out the deck and scoot the seats back!

course, that's only good for a roadster.....

love the '40 flathead he ran in it....

10. The flattie now has a Paxton blower on it
    Jerry is a tall guy, asked him how he got in and out, said he didn't have a problem
    the radiator drops way down between the rails, maybe 3" ground clearance, asked if it had always been that way, he said yes and never hit anything, said pan was about the same height