Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever see a piston spin sideways in a cylinder bore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jan 27, 2011.

1. before I quit at the Jeep dealership I had a late model Grand Cherokee come in with the 4.7 V8 with valvetrain in the air box. Story goes he went through some deep water during a big rain storm and it sucked a bunch of water through the intake and filled the chamber, grenaded the piston and blew rockers and pieces of the head through the valve cover, and some through air intake tube. Pieces of the piston were in the pan and the rod went through the piston sleeve and gorged into the side of the block jamming the crank so that it wouldn't turn, had to drop the pan and drop the crank to get the flywheel to turn so I could get it unbolted from the torque converter. I finished that swap, under warranty pay (got paid for 8 hours, took me a at least 3 days) the day before I quit, it sure reassured me that I made the right career move.

2. no55mad

no55mad

3. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

If that was my house, I would've left the piston in there, and hung a bare picture frame around it!! :D

I think the worst piston Ive ever seen was in an old 77 Yamaha DT400. It came to us and had apparantly blown up going down the highway. I tore the top end off and the piston wasnt even there!! There was a small handful of piston chunks sitting in the bottom, but I guess it had shattered like glass and gone out the exhaust, as there were more pieces in the expansion chamber. I bet that one made some interesting sounds!

4. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

The problem here is obvious.. Using black plastic ties won't work. You need to use either the white ones or the clear ones to hold pistons on the connecting rods properly.. :D

I thought everyone knew that..

5. rule of thumb; two zip ties= a bolt, three zip ties= a weld:D

6. torker78

torker78
    from Montana

BOBCRMAN

You have a good eye. It was a Speedpro that had been run for about 12 years.

Bill

7. no55mad

no55mad

8. cavemag

cavemag

What about a con rod that looks like an s , or a valve stem bent into a j.

9. Jingles

Jingles

Semi-diesel? I think that it uses a mixture of diesel and gasoline or either one half of the engine is a diesel and the other half is gasoline. LOL :)