Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever forget your driving a new car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-man313, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Tex_06

Tex_06

Going between the cars rolling in and out of the shop, my '88 Fiero, '85 & '60 Chevy PUs, and Colorado....I have to sit and think a minute before I even turn the key. The worst is going from a slim-jim Caddy to my '85 pickup.....I keep shifting into low when I really want reverse. Almost went through a garage like that once.

2. I often forget Im driving an old car and I wonder why people are looking at me.

Ill be in the zone driving, glance to my left, theres a guy taking a picture of me. WTF? Then he gives me thumbs up and I remember, he just likes my car..... lol

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

In new vehicles, the 'driving experience' is lost on me. Driving a hot rod requires focus and 'work'. New cars practically drive themselves. Both are cool though in their time and place.

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

The one that gets me is going from an old car to a new one. I got a speeding ticket in the new car, you really don't fell the speed in a new car, like you do in an old one.
    Have two cars with floor shifts, two cars on the column, I'll reach toward the column and there's no shifter.
    Rented a new 2013 Chevy on vacation with all the new items on it, I had to study the manuel before starting the car. Things on the 2013 worked differnt and they were in odd places. Oh, well the time they are a changing.:D

CRUISER :cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It is the difference between a "craftsman" mind-set and a "hotel guest" mind-set. I'd rather have tools than slaves. I'd rather be able than pampered.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Been there done that more than once. And tapping the gas pedal in that sequence that works for the carb on the hot rod in the fi driver before starting is a habit too.

7. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

My new truck had to go into the shop for a day and they gave me an older one to drive. The next morning, I got in the truck in the dark, and had no headlights. After circuit checking the thing for 10 minutes, it occurred to me that they had to be turned on "manually".

8. big M

big M

My daily for the last ten years is pushbutton drive [Mopar]. When I get into a new car, I always find myself reaching for the [non-existent] shift buttons on the left side of the column.

---John

9. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

For sure! My daily drivers, in the summer anyway, are a 50 Chevy pickup and a 68 camaro, both stick shifts. He'll even in the winter my newer s10 is a five speed.

I slide behind the wheel if my wife's Kia and I'm always searching for a clutch pedal, guess in just used to shifting gears!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

I'm also always trying to put the key in the dash somewhere instead of the column.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!