Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethanol Resistant Coating / Plating / Pump Diaphragms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by enigma57, Dec 7, 2013.

1. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

http://www.techafx.com

If you still need good fuel line this is good stuff

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I wouldn't let a car sit over the winter, even with non ethanol gas in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it ALWAYS been common sense to drain your car, if it's going to sit for very extended amounts of time?

Disconnect and trickle charge the battery, drain the fluids, raise it off the tires and cover until the spring. Did people stop doing this?

3. Andamo

Andamo

Real honest to goodness gasoline will last, but not for real long periods of time. I'm sure the climate where the car is stored makes a difference also. After a while it'll start to break down and this is when the dreaded varnish we've all heard about starts to form. I myself have a '88 Ford truck I park outside and never drive during the winter. I dose both gas tanks with Sta-Bil in the fall and I've never had a gasoline related problem in over 15 years.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

For FWIW:

I've found that BP premium (which is Standard Oil Co gas) doesn't rot very fast. I've been able to keep it in containers for between 1 & 1 1/2 yrs before going bad. Apparently, it doesn't, nor has ever, contained, alky. The stuff in my bike has just gone bad, after ~ 2 1/4 years, (Ya-ya, I know. Odd unrelated unhappy events led to no use. Now I get to build the 4 carbs on Mr. 11). I've been impressed w/this stuff. A friend told me he hadn't had any issues on his Hemi-T carbs, since he started using this. Prior to that, it was a rebuild-the-carbs-every-spring-deal. For both of us. No more. :D .

Never had good luck w/Stabil. Found, & used, some wicked/evil smelling stuff from Bill Hirshfield(advertizes in Hemmings) - but it worked. Claimed 3 yrs storage capabilities. Never pushed it that far. Also have used a *really good* 2-stroke oil, in a light mix (found out that also has a good fuel stabilizer in it). Got lazy since I proved BP/Standard premium to work so well. Hope that doesn't go to hell now...

Marcus...

5. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

I have used Lucas ethanol treatment in my car since all this Ethanol deal started.I have not had any issues with the fuel system at all.I think the Lucas Treatment is the best thing on the market for this problem yet..My 2 cents worth....

6. enigma57

enigma57

Thanks guys, for all your input. I have learned something from each and every one of you and that knowledge is much appreciated.

I am in Texas. North of Houston and a few miles West of Spring. Our climate here is hot most of the year and usually very humid. High of 60 and a low of 34 forecast for tomorrow. Just now, it is 57 degrees and 97% humidity.

We don't have any BP nor Standard Oil stations here that I have seen and I haven't located any sources of straight pump gas nearby, including boat and aircraft refueling facilities...... But will keep looking.

Ever hopeful that future administrations will rein in the out of control EPA and end the ethanol insanity, but must deal with the here and now. You know the old saying...... 'May as well wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first!'

The fuel line mentioned here looks like something I can use when plumbing my car......

http://www.techafx.com/

Will use hard line (tubing) wherever possible and keep any hoses to the bare minimum. If possible, will use hose just for the line that connects the inlet to my fuel pump from the hard line on my chassis and for the short pieces connecting fuel filters, etc. I usually place an inline filter on the inlet side of the mechanical fuel pump and another in the vertical rise between the outlet of the fuel pump and the carb(s). Pretty sure I will add a diesel type oil/water separator just upstream of the filter that will be on the inlet side of the fuel pump so I can collect and periodically bleed off moisture. And a ball valve to shut off flow from the tank so I can run the carbs dry when sitting the car up for a while.

Yes, I have been digging around for good quality rebuild kits, jetting, air correctors and emulsion tubes for the DCNF carbs. Here Stateside, Pierce Manifolds and Redline look to be good sources. Gene Berg Enterprises still have a few items for the DCNF carbs they fitted to VWs, as well. If I get into a bind locating anything, I will keep the UK, German and Italian contacts as a backup. Ducati used the DCNF carbs on a couple of their motorcycle engines some years back, but have no idea what carburettor parts, if any, they might stock for them now of days. Same for the European cars that were fitted with them as OEM equipment 40 years ago.

Regarding the fogging oil...... I will do that after running the carbs dry when the car will sit up for a while. If it has a small tube like a WD-40 can, I should be able to spray it right down the air correctors with the DCNFcarbs. Might see about adding a small threaded brass plug over the fuel bowl when rebuilding to get some in there as well.

Not so sure I would be able to follow the procedure for separating and draining off alcohol from ethanol-diluted gasoline in quantities sufficient to keep my car fueled up. Will look into this, though.

Best regards and a very Merry Christmas to you all,

Harry

7. I was in Iowa last summer, where most of that shit is produced and every gas station that I stopped at had your choice of ethanol or non-ethanol gas and the non cost more then the with. In my part of Texas if there are any I sure as hell don't find any!!

8. enigma57

enigma57

I hear ya, willbe! Sure would be nice to at least have a choice at the pump here. Seems like every time those in government decide they know whats best for everybody else...... They are wrong.

:D Corn squeezins belong in jugs and mason jars, not gasoline......

'Thunder Road'...... Robert Mitchum......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNh7TKlssbs

'White Lightning'...... George Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQlgfvH_6s

Merry Christmas y'all,

Harry

9. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I agree with you Harry my friend.
    Marry Christmas to you and your family. Hope the new year is a prosperous one for all. Ron

10. enigma57

enigma57

11. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

12. enigma57

enigma57

Thanks, Bryan! I have made a note of the link you posted and will follow up on it.

Merry Christmas,

Harry

13. birdman1

birdman1

any of you brainy types know what Gibbs fuel additive does with the moisture??? I thought the alcohol absorbed the water(H20) and it burned up with the gas. Here in Iowa, we have been using ethanol for 35 years now, and I have never seen any damage from E10 gas.

14. pitman

pitman

This is one helpful thread. Thanks guys.
    Birdman; I'm partially informed as to chemical/material stuff, which is of course a dangerous fount of questionable wisdom!
    "Miscible" and "emulsion" help to describe events here.
    Hydro-phylic, means friendly, to water, so a drop is absorbed by the solvent.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  15. no55mad

no55mad

A humble opinion - You are correct (reference post 43), the moisture gets burned during the combustion process. The additives leave behind a protective coating on fuel system components.
    E15 in Calif can make a mess if left sitting in the fuel system - especially in a float bowl.