Register now to get rid of these ads!

**Ernest Hemingway’s long-lost 1955 Chrysler New Yorker convertible found in Cuba**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I lived in Mexico for a short while.
    In the big cities, there are body shops EVERYWHERE. And, there are good American classics EVERYWHERE.

However, I looked at the stuff in the body shops that I saw, which was a lot.
    The restorations that I saw, were, umm....painful to look at, at best.
    Boogered up is the best way I could put it. I never, ever, saw ONE good American Classic that I thought was even acceptably restored. Not one.

On another note, when I had off days I would drive or walk around neighborhoods all the time that were somewhat safe, and let me tell you...if you are looking for good American HAMB friendly classic car to restore, there are TONS of them within 30 miles south, east, or west of the Tijuana boarder crossing. Trust me on that. I took pictures (but that computer died)

2. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

That's pretty cool. His boat "Pilar" is still there where he left it when things went bad there. I compete in the Hemingway look a like contest every year in Key West. So I have a little bit of interest in all things Hemingway. Makes me wonder whatever happened to the model A that was delivered to Papa in 1930.

3. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

This is pretty old news - there was an article in AutoWeek about 15 years ago that mentioned this car had been rediscovered, seats in tatters but with the Hemi still running. And what would be the problem with a third party in Canada or Mexico sourcing the parts and sending them over? If "Hutch" wants to spend his TV residuals to bankroll it, he could do it quietly...

4. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Or, he could use his vast monthly royalty check from his smash hit single from 1976, "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby" to purchase, uh, to purchase the,...to help maybe fund the, uh, ......

....maybe they can find someone like PBS donors to fund the project.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Now thats some funny shit right there...

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Your post got me interested in the boat as seen above. Also found a couple more photos of the car.

Here is a link to Wiki and info on the boat

Attached Files:

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What? Are you kidding? He blew his brains out, think I'd skip that part.

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Well,
    Before this thread becomes a total shitshow. I wanted to say that I have travelled to Cuba many times and enjoyed the vintage steel that still powers there way along the streets of Havanna and the island. It is a really cool sight to see. Sure they are running different drivetrains in the cars but hey who isn't. Did that big block come in your model A or that 327 in your 53 chevy, or what about that explorer rear end with those disc brakes. Is it original? They are making due with what they got and so are we to a certain extent.

Here is an example of a car in Cuba that a guy I know in Havanna owns. I have driven it a couple times. It is a riot to drive with the Toyota diesel that is in it and its Toyota rear end!

The cool thing that we have in common with the Cuban people is our love for the classics. This is very cool that they found Hemingway's car. Hopefully with help that they can restore it to its former glory.
    Jay

Attached Files:

9. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

.....and I think he had Syphilis. And battled alcoholism his entire life.
    I think I'd skip those two things, too.

10. All true,,but Hemingway has always been one of my all time favorite writers and I hope to see the car restored. HRP

11. 62nova

62nova

Well anyways.... besides all that. I always get a nice fuzzy feeling when I see how much other countries like American cars.

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

after the first page ~ i lost track of 'we' were talking about?:rolleyes:

Cool video any way,a few years back i watched a show about how the Cubans build some of their car (Taxis) out anything laying around,Nissan,Toyota,Russian junk,:cool: by all means i hope their move forward with the Chrysler.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hemingway is one of my favorite writers as well.

"Prose is architechure, not interior decorating, and the Baroque is over." Ernest Hemingway.

Hell of a line. Could just as well be applied to great hot rods as great writing...