Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eric Rickmans Olds Powered Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve 38, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Steve 38

Steve 38

Hot Rod Deluxe magazine have been running a series the last several issues on the stunning collection of photos taken by Petersen Publishing photographer Eric Rickman. In amongst the photos are a few of 'Ricks' Corvette, in which he stuffed a tri-power Olds Rocket motor, added lake pipes, lowered, and had finished off in a custom paint scheme. The motor itself appeared on the cover of Car Craft Sept 1957.

Does anyone know what happened to this car? Does it still exist? Was a cool looking car, and Rickmans daily driver from what I can tell. I looked for info on it here but couldn't really find anything.

This is the only photo I have found online of it. Note the carbs sticking through the hood:

[​IMG]

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  2. That was one cool looking ride and he was what you could actually call a hotrodder and have it be true. He did it all.

3. richie rebel

richie rebel

all i can say is badass

4. I belive that shortly after "Rick" sold it a carb(s) fire burned it to the ground.

5. iamben

iamben

Not a Vette fan, but damn that thing looks cool!!!

6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

7. olpaul

olpaul

I also read it burned down in a gas fire with the new owner.

8. I'd drive the crap out of that ;)

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yup, I asked Rick about it years ago at one of Gale Banks' gatherings and he told me that it burned up shortly after he sold it .

10. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I am a Vette fan and yes that thing looks cool !!!! Damn shame it burned up!!! :mad:

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Meybe it's about time someone cloned it.

12. I agree. :cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Steve 38

Steve 38

Thanks for that info you guys. What a shame its gone! Unfortunately I don't think anyone would have the balls/money to build something like this now. Back in the '50s and '60s customized Corvettes were quite common. But not today.

14. Well all I got to say is that it aint real steel. :rolleyes:

Very nice looking car and with a Rocket under the hood it should have scooted right on down the road.

Customized vettes and hor rodded vettes used to be real popular then someone decided that they were worth more stock. If I coud get my dirty little hands on one I would like to go in that direction with it.

Exceptional car.

15. ironpile

ironpile

What does your avatar have to do with cars? Crap I dont care I like it .I just slobbered on my keyboard.:D:D:D:D:D

16. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've seen a couple of black and white pictures of it. Sorry I can't remember where though.

17. Someone ought to put this one back up this is too sweet to waste.

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well, I don't know...the wheels aren't OEM, that paint seems to also be non-stock and if he put a different engine in that then he has reduced the value...blah blah blah, yaddah yaddah yaddah. That's what was heard back in Seattle in the mid-60s when a guy stuffed a 409/409/4spd into a '55 Vette with mags. I like modified 'vettes. The purists make me crazy. Hardly anyone left their Corvette stock back 'in the day'. Now they're so anal about which way the hose clamps are oriented it's just plain silly. Rickman's Corvette was beautiful, and it is truly a pity that if someone went to clone it these days, they would be pilloried by the Corvette Club "enthusiasts".

19. Anyone that would build a corvete custom or rod wouldn't care about what the vette club thought about it, I suppose.

I saw a '54 go for 200 in the '70s because someone had replaced the 6 with a 2x4 283. I still chuckle about it.

20. swissmike

swissmike

Wow, what a great car. Love the paint scheme.

21. Yes indeed, I would like to know more about the car and see some other shots of it. Maybe an old article if there is one around.

22. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Here's the engine

Attached Files:

23. chop32

chop32

Balls, yes...Money, no...
    Id do it in a heartbeat if I could find/afford a clapped out early Vette!

24. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I do like Corvettes but I have never cared much for custom ones. This one is neat, I have never seen a picture of it before. Too bad about its final outcome though.

Clone would be neat. Thanks for posting the picture and story.

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

26. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

27. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

That is a cool car ! Love it!

28. Stone

Stone

Awesome car.

29. Considering the early Corvette's anemic 6... that Olds engine would make that lightweight fly!

I also recall a couple early Vettes with Cadillac engines as well.

I'd like to see more of these early Modifications.

30. Anyone seen the 53 Vette with the Caddy V8?