Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ERA CORRECT CLUTCH SLAVE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Dec 3, 2014.

1. deto

deto

I'm considering running a clutch slave set up on the Munice I'm putting in my 49 chevy.

Was this a common practice? Or did most hot street/strip cars run a linkage?

If a slave set up isn't taboo, then what set up would have been used?

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

'Spose they were mostly 1960s era cars using slave cylinders from 1960 and up pickups - Chevy, Ford, Dodge, International. Some even used British parts, especially in the 50s. Just need to make sure the bore sizes are compatible. Don't know if they had a stagger, would imagine pretty much 1:1 on bore diameters.

3. Truck slave cylinder units were commonly used although I always used mechanical linkage. HRP

4. deto

deto

Any one in particular?

5. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Early sixties GMC pickup. Along with the double master cyl.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The siamesed Chev truck master cylinder, one side brakes other side clutch. You see chrome ones on the firewalls of hot rods in 50s - 60s hot rod magazines.

7. roundvalley

roundvalley

Used a slave cylinder on a '39 Ford tranny with fire wall overhead Ford truck pedals in 1955. Bought the slave cylinder and bracket from Honest Charlie. Pretty common setup then.

deto likes this.
  8. deto

deto

Good to know

9. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've been looking at the same thing for my 40, as i'm in the U.K, i'm looking at Land Rover/Rang Rover parts. readily available and look 'old'. [​IMG]
    Also seen people use Toyota truck parts,but the Chevy dual pedal swap is very traditional, if you're happy using swing pedals and having the fluid reservoir on the firewall.

10. bellhousing.jpg
    I believe this is where the slave cylinder mounts on a cast iron Chevy bellhousing. This is similar to the one I'll be using.