Register now to get rid of these ads!

EPA expected to OK more ethanol in gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordcoe, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

in the summer it really does grow a foot a night, i have to yank it up several times a week. here's the info on the fuel, this is kind of an old article, the one i read was much more recent, and it had undergone much more testing, as well as getting ready to go into production, apparently it uses a different kind of alcohol, one that doesn't cause the issues of the ethenol. The alcohol itself isn't a bad idea, the problem is ethenol is the wrong one to use. http://pacificwingsmagazine.com/2009/04/01/avgas-alternative-undergoes-testing

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Makes me wonder if some of the carb troubles I've had were from ethanol eating seals.
    Guess I'll never know.

3. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

That is E85 and it's dispensed from a seperate pump, and can only be used in cars built to handle it. (Flex Fuel)
    It's all 10% otherwise.

Minnesota wants to go to 20% if the Feds will allow it.

4. plan9

plan9

SEMA thinks its a problem....

5. No, Mn has 15%! E85 is 85% sheesh!:rolleyes:

6. Oddly, I haven't run my Suburban but a couple times since May and it started up and ran fine yesterday. It has a couple burned plug wires that need to be taped up, so it popped a little at first, but once it warmed up it was fine. It has like half a tank of 10% in it.

But everything I drive gets worse milage with it in, that's a fact, even with a computer to dick around with the timing to try to make it run better.

I really think ethanol in the gas is just a scam to force us all to actually use more, so everyone who sells it makes more money. Now the state and feds make a lot more from each gallon sold than the oil company does, so of course they're going to want to keep upping the percentage.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im with you on this....its kinda obvious, at least to some of us

8. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Doh! That's right! I stand corrected about the E85. :eek:

Note to self: Engage brain before typing.:p

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

Wasn't the real purpose for Ethanol to make the fuel burn cleaner? Remember that MBTE or whatever the other shit was that wound up in the drinking water?The Ethanol was to replace that? yes?
    I live near Rochester NY and always bought fuel at the Kwik Fil on the Webster-Ontario line on 104.No alcohol in their gas until about a month ago when I noticed the sticker on the pump.Online info says most Kwik Fils switched over to 10 percent corn depending on where they get their from.My 99 Jeep Cherokee got 20 mpg on the real gas,gets 20 mpg on the 10 percent shit and it seems to run exactly the same.Maybe some engines are more fussy ,I don't know.

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I just tune and cope.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

ok the EPA had dismissed the waiver to go to 15 percent for cars built before 2000, stations will have the option to sell the 15 percent but it has to be labeled as such and have a specific pump, I got the letter from SEMA earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.