Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap question on 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barnfind 56, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Hey guys I just picked me up a 54 chevy 210 that has the 235 6cyl with a powerglide. I want to stick with that combo but the 235 that is in it looks sad, the previous owner for some reason took the head off of it and it just looks horrible. I am buying a complete 235 with powerglide out of a 56 Chevy 4 door that is currently running and has low miles on it. My question is if their are any big differences between the two years? Do I need to change out the rearend and driveshaft to accomodate the 56 powerglide?

2. squirrel

squirrel

The powerglide is different, the 56 is open driveline, 54 is closed torque tube type. But you should be able to swap the engine itself and leave the 54 trans in it. you'll want to use the flexplate that matches the starter you want to run (6v or 12v, the teeth are different). and the water pump is different, you'll need to move the radiator, or modify the pump, or get an adapter to run the early pump on the late block.

I'm assuming the 235 in the car is original, hard to say without pics, numbers or something to go on

3. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Thats what I figured about the trans with the closed driveshaft. The old lady that owned the car said she parked the car back in '72 because the trans went out so I am going to run the powerglide that is with the 56 235. I guess I will be swapping rearends and driveshaft which is no big deal. So the only real big diffence is the waterpump? I am planning on keeping it 6 volt also if possible.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Check the mounts too, the 56 block might not have the mounting holes that the 54 uses.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

Save your money - dont buy the 56 - 235. Put that money in your 54 engine. You are gaining nothing by buying the 56. None of the mounts are the same, water pump differences, blah, blah blah. Everything you can do with the 56 you can have with the 54.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Yep, I am glad I posted on here. I decided to not buy the 56 235, it sounded like a pain to install. I searched around some more and ended up finding a 54 235 from a running 4 door that is complete along with Fenton split mainfold! I got a really good deal on it and I am picking it up next week. Thanks guys!