Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine swap mounts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lukey, Mar 27, 2014.

1. lukey

lukey

Is there a thread on home made motor swap mounts? Lotsa pics maybe? I'm getting ready to do my first swap with custom mounts (don't want to hear any whining, so I won't say what) if not, let's start a thread!

-LUKEY-

2. lukey

lukey

Try a bump then give up

3. aaggie

aaggie

You can buy mounts for all of the popular swaps but let's cover some basics.

Set the car on jack stands with the frame at ride height. Lower the engine and trans into the engine bay and try to get the trans mount where it needs to be on the trans cross member. Now is the time to make one if your car doesn't have a cross member.

Now raise or lower the engine to get the carb flange on the intake manifold level. Move the engine side to side until the crankshaft pulley is centered between the frame rails. With everything secure get some cardboard and make a pattern to connect the engine mounts on the block to either frame rails or cross member where you want the engine to rest.

Make sure you have the water pump, exhaust manifolds and distributor on the mockup so they will clear with the new mounts.

Again and I repeat, these are just the basics but you get the idea.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's my dilemma, SBC with Fentons into my '46 Oldsmobile. Front Hurst mount is out of question as I'm running AC & PS and OEM side mounts attach where exhausts exits. Can't run an engine tube through exhaust.

Solution, move OEM mounts back roughly 4" by making an adaptor similar to LS series into early SBC frames. I moved the engine tube back accordingly and also widened it to compensate for the additional width caused by adaptors. Nothing is impossible.

Attached Files:

5. lukey

lukey

I've done swaps, this project is the first time I am making my own mounts. It's a 59 f100 that will get either a 302/aod or a 350/th350 (depends on which looks easier to swap) was basically curious about different designs people have used.

-LUKEY-