Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engine swap, flathead to a 302 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roger lawless, Nov 1, 2008.

1. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

To answer you question UnI I'd say it's possible to run a rear sump pan better than the front/rear because of the stock suspension/engine mount in it now. But mock up will detirmine that. My 46 front member hangs fairly low. Moroso & OEM has tons of oil pans to choose from that are easily had.

I think this is a easy swap for an "average" hot rodder. Remember if you change the pan usually you'll need to change the oil pump and/or pick up.

I think a google search might provide some info. Also a check here on the HAMB.

Paco

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Dude had bad luck and 2 bad 302s. Other than that you have no point in all that mess.

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

yes there is a point, that being a flathead is a reliable engine and 302s can be unreliable as well.When the cornerstone of your argument is a flathead is unreliable and other engines such as the 302 are reliable,you tend to make sweeping generalisations that will come undone on you. which is what i pointed out.A flathead can be and is reliable and a 302 can be unreliable,my point is the reverse of his argument. easy!

4. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

If you have a good runing flathead don't give it away.

5. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Hey roger lawless,

I see you were on here earlier today.Just in case you didn't feel like going through all the pages I weeded out the "DISCUSSION" and found some info that might help.

BTW-I'll keep updating it as the "DISCUSSION" continues (cause you know it will)

You'd think this was about a Chevy vs. Ford mines better than yours!
    It's funny cause this all started by a "Ford" person who had nothing else better to write than "why" on the first page and said nothing informative to the thread he was posting on,which someone on here who is in the "DISCUSSION" is complaining that someone else does in other posts.

Oh, if anybody wants to know I like all engines until they break

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

One more thing roger lawless,

Don't forget about Congested.He's posted 4 times in this thread.Sounds like he is really interested in that Flathead.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. Burny

Burny

Hey, l figured I'd try and actually answer a few of your questions.

1. Try this place for motormounts: http://www.ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com/id26.htm

I bought a set for a '59 Ranchero to drop a 302 into it. Made for the application, so easy install.

2. Not sure here. You will have to take some measurements to determine this. http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html Here's the basic engine dimensions, but you'll have to get the pan dimensions etc. The '59 i had ran the front sump...

3. If you're going to run the stock trans, you'll need an adapter and I'm not sure what it would entail, but hell, why not go with a t5 or later model trans that will bolt up? If not- here's a link to an adapter maker: http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ also, these guy have alot of old parts and are supposed to be real helpful-
    http://www.fatsco.com/ You can always try: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

4. Depends on what you end up going with. I'd ask the transmission guys.

5. You're going to need a radiator that runs on at least 15 pounds of pressure for the 302. I'd ask the local radiator shop if a conversion to your flathead radiator is worth it. Might be more cost effective and reliable to run a new or used one that is setup to run with the 302.

6. You're going to have to measure here as well. Here's another informative link for ya. http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html

Good luck.

(and if you do decide to sell the flatty, drop me a PM ;) )

8. roger lawless

roger lawless

GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS !;) For a moment there I thought one of the 'Grenade Inspectors' had pulled the pin and dropped it into a crowded school bus or some such thing. LOL !

I started driving Flatheads when I was 13 or 14 years young and had lots of fun with them in the old Fords of the 30's and 40's. They were and are reliable. Smooth and quiet with that sweet rumble with a Smitty's glasspack attached.:rolleyes:

Why do I want to change it out for a 302? More power on the highway, air conditioning, ez parts while out of town. I visit my 90 year old mom in the LA area three or four times a year and want to drive something other than the F'n 150. Cool too.

I don't plan on any body mods and will keep the car the stock black color as well.:)

I already sent the guy in Aptos/Santa Cruz a PM and told him to call me on Wed. or after to discuss the 'posibility' of selling him the Flattie.

A couple of you guys commented on my Avitar of the VW 'Retrorod'. Yes I build them once in awhile. The last one I sold over a year ago and the guy I sold it to got it into 'Streetrodder' mag for Oct 2007. My newest one will be forsale in about a week or so. Definately not stock or Traditional at all.

I'll check out all the sugestions on where to find motormounts etc. Thanks for all your input, good, bad or indiferent.

Roger in Cali

9. roger lawless

roger lawless

Here are a couple pics of the Volksrod.

Roger in Cali

10. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Not sure why pmpkinhead actually quoted me except that I tried to answer the original post????

Paco

11. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Hey Paco,

I only used the quotes so roger lawless saw the good information you gave.Nothing bad at all.

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

OK - I've reopened the thread & deleted the drama (including mine). I apologize for adding to the drama - I thought I was doing one thing and ended up doing something else completely by getting caught up in the emotion of it.

To address the original questions - unless Speedway Motors has changed their 'universal' Ford engine mounts, I wouldn't fool with them. I got some a few years back for a 302 into a '50 Ford, but they were made to mount on the front cover - I don't care for that design unless you've got bellhousing mounts (vs trans tail housing) like many early cars.

Chassis Engineering offers both universal and application-specific mounts that may help.

13. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

If you sell the hipo let me know ;)

Since your doing a 302 swap why not get a 84' and up block and it will be setup for a roller cam. Slap a t5 or aod and good gas mpg and fun cruiser. Do like a 302 with gt40 heads mild e303 ford racing cam with cobra valvetrain. Nothy crazy but good hp and easy to get parts for.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

From the sound of it you have a running driving car?
    Back when I was thinking SBF in my 35 ford it would have required some big firewall mods. and a rear sump pan.
    I assume there cant be all that much more room in your later ford. (wall to rad.)
    I haven’t seen anybody mention the firewall issue. Is there one?
    The SBC swap is popular for a reason.

15. roger lawless

roger lawless

Well I found the engine mounts and I already had the adapter.

Now what kind of clutch setup do I need and can I keep the original pedal mechanical or will I have to go Hydraulic ?

Thanks, Roger :cool:

16. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dont worry about it Ernie ,we all have are moments and i am no angel myself ,as anyone will tell you .Im sorry for adding to the drama as well ,sometimes my short childhood and the redneck in me gets out ,before i have a chance to step back and look at how im coming across to people.I meant what i said ,but coulda found a better way to say it i suppose.No hard feelings here...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You should be able to use stock clutch linkage - use a pressure plate to match the 302 flywheel with a clutch disk that is the right diameter and matches the splines of the tranny. Can't give you a p/n or application...I'd go to a big truck clutch/brake relining place - they should be able to fab up anything you need.

18. The Shocker

The Shocker

I'd deffinatly take Chappys advise here and go with the later version of the 302 if your gunna do this swap .They are easy to get power out of with after market heads(which can be found all over new and used ) and are roller cammed as well ( if you find an H.O.).The parts for the valvetrain mods can be found almost anywhere cheap and there are plenty of options with these engines.Mine is an 87 model block and im using the early style 1970 style Toploader stuff ,clutch ,pressure plate ,flywheel (even though i was told the early flwheel wouldnt work on the later crank).I would go to the trouble to make a manual throw out bearing release work and do away with the hyd .slave cylinder type if your switching to a later trans as well,but thats just me ( i prefer the feel of the manual pedal).Good luck with the swap and sorry i cant refer you to a good source for the mounts .Usually when i need mounts for things i make them or try to.If it was mine i'd swap the rear and trans as well ,just because i drive my stuff like i stole it ...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008

19. Can't really add much here, though I've been doing some semi-serious thinking about a SBF in my '40 someday and have come to the same conclusions as above regarding pan and firewall. But that's on the early, smaller body.

Years ago a friend had a '46 coupe with a '61 390 installed, with no firewall mods. So I'd think that if a large FE motor would fit, you ought to be able to get a 5.0 (how do you like that, traditionalists) in without too much cutting.:D

20. HotRod33

HotRod33

Hey guys reading all the drama was really funny.........

21. roger lawless

roger lawless

Oh yeah !;)

Attached Files: