Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine run-on after key is turned off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mt shasta steve, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Just finished rewiring my '41. GM column with key in column, HEI ign, internal regulator alternator. Little truck would run for about 15 seconds after I shut the key off. I hoped the rewiring and adding circuit breakers and fuse blocks would solve the run-on problem. It didn't. Still runs for 15-20 seconds after turning the key off. Any ideas? I'm guessing it is feeding back through from the alternator.

2. pricejap

pricejap

Does it have a electric fan? Mine did the same thing so i added a override switch for the electric fan.

3. PDQ36

PDQ36

How's your mixture strength? Are the plugs white - to weak? This can overheat the combustion chamber and cause the engine to 'Run on' (Diesel). Plugs of the wrong heat range can also do this.

4. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Yes it has an electric fan. But it is wired through the key to a seperate fuse block. I'll check with a voltmeter to see if it is feeding back through. Thanks.

5. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

It's not dieseling. It's running smooth as silk with the key off. When it does shut off, it quits normaly, no coughing or spitting

6. pricejap

pricejap

Try unplugging it just to see if it will shut off like it should. Sounds like mine was wired the same.

7. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Good idea. I wired it with a inline "bullet" connector, so unplugging it should be simple.

8. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just put a diode inline so it stops feeding back from the fan...

10. mudrat

mudrat

check your elect fan it needs a relay

11. ewf

ewf
    from fl