Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine rebuilding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Apr 21, 2008.

1. How do you guys put together an engine that may sit for a few months before being fired up? An old friend of mine SWORE by white lithium. I actually have a 368 Lincoln that he had put together with it and stored for SEVERAL years. It was perfect on the inside but that old half-dried up lithium had to be cleaned off everything!

2. horny_toad

horny_toad

LP III (3). Comes in spray can and is more or less liquid cosmolene.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

STP and motor oil mixed 50/50. Doesn't dry up like grease and don't run off nether.

4. jonny o

jonny o

I use straight Lucas oil stabilizer. It sticks.

Whether firing it right up, or letting it sit, the key is to pre-lube the engine before you fire it.

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

It depends,
    If it's going to sit for a couple months, I do nothing to it. Just remember to prime it before it's initial start-up.

If it's going to sit for a looooong time, I'll pickle the engine [fill it full with used motor oil, including the intake cylinders,etc] and then cap off the intake and exhaust ports with heavy grease.

Yes, I did say used motor oil. Yes, I do understand were talking about a freshly rebuilt motor. The molly-lube wont wash off the cam, and it is MOTOR OIL were talking about. It gets drained and replaced before it's fired. No big deal.

Dont like it? Fine, spend $50 for 5 gallons of new motor oil.