Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine rebuild tip..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Learned from my school of hard knocks-
    When you press or heat your rods to install new pistons,you must be sure the big end of the rod/cap has the beveled side of bearing shell half facing the same side as the Forward DOT on the top of your new piston,on the front four only! The back four (there are two cylinder bores per journal)(the back ones are the rear bore in a journal group) are the opposite..
    Also,when you install said rod/piston assembly into the bore,make sure the beveled side of big end is facing the counter weight of the crankshaft NOT THE MIDDLE OF JOURNAL.
    To note the beveled side of big end of rod, you will see that your bearing half shell doesn't go out all the way to the bevel but stops short a little to allow for bevel clearance. You can also see(if you aren't old man blind like me!) that there is a small bevel in your crank journal up next to the counterweight of the crankshaft.
    You MUST put the big end with the bevel edge towards the crank coounterweight and the piston DOT MUST FACE FORWARD. This is due to the fact of the way the piston/wrist pin area is manufactured off-set.
    Failure to follow this rule will result in engine failure in only a few minutes.
    Happy New Year to everyone! Mikey

2. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

3. Deuces

Deuces

That's why I like floaters with snap rings!! That way you can correct any mistakes before installing the piston/rod assembly :)