Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Painting question for painters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm going the BASE/Clear route with my motor. I have some nason ful base (the voc compliant one) as a base coat and the nason select clear as a gloss. For primer I have transtar epoxy primer.

Does anybody see a problem with this combo? It's what I've been using for small stuff and I'm just ready to paint this motor but I'm curious about how it will hold up to heat...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. contact your local nason rep. and ask them.:D

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

He was in the store when I bought this stuff. He told me you can only paint engines with engine paint, I've read otherwise.

4. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

I would also like to know the answer to this.

5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

In the 60's I worked for a paint store. They had Marine paint, automotive paint and engine paint.

It was all Dulux paint with a different lable! I know, I mixed it!

Engines only get up to 230o max. When is the last time you were able to paint strip your car with boiling water?

6. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I've done it this way many times. Make sure it's ultra clean and keep the material you're spraying to a minimum. I use self etching primer usually but have had good results with epoxy too.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Epoxy primer, base, and clearcoat works just fine and dandy, and without any issues.... :)

8. greazy john

greazy john

sounds like you need a new paint rep...will work fine just get extra clean and try to keep build -up minimum

9. I have previously painted with regular auto paint as you wish to do. I used an epoxy primer as the undercoat. Then I used a single stage urethane with hardener. It worked fine. I've heard in the past that sometimes when using BCCC. The clear can yellow depending on the color you use,especially near the exhaust ports or crossover on the intake manifold. Oh by the way you cant' hardly get it off unless you do a rebuild and have the block cleaned in an oven. Then it doesn't get it all off. Listen for more input and opinions on here.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It'll burn in the obvious places, like around the exh ports. I'll skip the "clean the block good" comments cuz I think you already got that, but since cast iron can "soak up" mat'l, use a tad bit more reducer in your epoxy coating, and go right to color when it flashes off to avoid a couple hrs of unwanted scuff pad work. Like said above, keep the coats conservative, don't load up on the clear. Here's one that was done in 93 and driven for thousands of miles. This pic was taken in 09:

[​IMG]

This was basic single stage urethane BTW...

11. 4406

from Oklahoma

George Gray in Van Nuys Ca. has painted engines. I always thought they would peel.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Tim sprayed my new Y Block with regular single stage urethane.

Attached Files:

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll have a SS urethane mixed up and go that route :)

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive mixed paint and ive painted alot of engines. you alraedy know to have it clean and grease free.to me the main trick is not to load up on paint or clear.keep coats to to minumum.let them flash between coats and you should be good. the onnly time ive had problems is when id have a carb flood bad and get gas everywhere.then i was more worried about fire than keeping paint on it.lol. or when i tried once to find a vac. leak and used carb cleaner.dont do that leaves a big mess lol

15. godswill

godswill
    from san jose

two stage isnt a problem. u need to use a high heat primer and the motor has to be fully stripped to metal. best way would be to bead blast it, but torch and wire wheels gets the job done.Once the high heat primer is laid down , you can spray almost any paint over it. For primer ive used the high heat rattle can stuff from the parts store and it works good. The best stuff is made by por15 and house of kolor, The difference is that it goes on thicker and makes the block look a lil smoother.