Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Mounting clearance questions... make this a tech...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordiac, Dec 15, 2003.

1. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

so I asked last about engine mounting angles.

now I want to know about clearances.

between the engine and the firewall?

the bottom of the oil pan and the frame?
    I have a mustang 2 crossmember in my truck, so the rack is out front of the crossmember.how much clearance there?

obviously, I wouldnt want the drain plug to be lower than the bottom of the frame right? that would suck to rip them out whilst driving...

tips would be appreciated.

2. titus

titus

as long as it isnt touching anywhere, you should be ok, you dont have to much rotational movement if you have good engine mounts, if you can get your fingers in-between it(the engine) and everything else youll be extra ok, and give your self a little extra room below for when your mounts sag from age. my 34 pu has about 1/4 on one valve cover from the firewal.

3. fordiac,I'd go with a 1/4" on firewall,but you could go as lil as 1/8".Between pan to x-member go with 1/2" just in case a mill mount breaks.You don't hafta have your drainplug higher then your frame.I usually set the mill as far back and as low as I can get em.This includes using the ol'pursueder on the firewall.It makes em handle way better........Shiny

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Of course, minimum clearances mentioned will work, but keep in mind that any time you pack it in really close, you are designing yourself a pain in the ass when something on that motor needs tightened, adjusted, or replaced. Consider serviceability before the motor goes in, and remember that putting a little clearance into the firewall or such is way easier with the whole deal apart.

5. [ QUOTE ]
    Of course, minimum clearances mentioned will work, but keep in mind that any time you pack it in really close, you are designing yourself a pain in the ass when something on that motor needs tightened, adjusted, or replaced. Consider serviceability before the motor goes in, and remember that putting a little clearance into the firewall or such is way easier with the whole deal apart.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Animal is right. I have a tendency to jam 'em tight against the firewall (think cigerette paper). Makes it a real bugger to do things like separate the engine from the bell housing.My last one had holes cut in the hump to get at the bolts for the hogs head. Handling/weight transfer good thing, changing tranny of pulling motor bad thing.
    I like to ba able to put my hand between the crossmember and the oil pan. Course I don't have very big hands. [​IMG]