Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine guys, need opinions on cam and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopndrop, May 10, 2006.

1. chopndrop

chopndrop

I'm getting ready to drop in a new short block in my 64 Galaxie and would like hear the wisdom of others. The new shortblock is a '68 302, .20 over with hypereutectic pistons. I'm using fresh early 289 heads with roller tip rockers. Tri-Y headers to 2 inch dual exhaust w/ glasspacks. I have been using an old Edelbrock F4B dual plane high rise intake, but plan on putting on a new performer to try to maximize lower rpm power. Edelbrock 600 cfm electric choke carb. C4 trans with stock converter. 3:1 gears.
    The cam I have to put in it has duration @ .050 of 214-224, gross lift .472-.496, 112 deg. lobe seperation. Is this cam good for the rest of my stuff? The car is not my primary ride so it doesnt have to have the best road manners. I'm afraid that this cam might have more duration than I be able to use. The car never goes over 4000 rpms as it is. What do you think?

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Seriously, call COMP cams and ask their tech line guys. Give them your combination, tell them what you've told us about the intended use of the vehicle, and then see what specs they recommend. If you're worried that they'll just try to sell you one of their cams, word your conversation in such a way that they don't necessarily know you already have a stick. But I'm pretty sure they would give you an honest answer even if you said you already had a cam and just wanted advise. All they do is cams, and they'd immediately know what's a good cam for you.
    They're job is to make you happy with your engine. They'd prefer you have one of their cams, but more than almost any company I've ever worked with, they're more concerned about making you a customer down the road.
    -Brad

3. My feeling is that your cam is just right for a nice street driver. That is NOT a big cam by any means. It may have a small amount of idle roughness, but not anything serious. You will not be losing any serious low-end torque, although it is probably a cam that will pull to about 5500 rpms, higher than you said you spin the engine.

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

I've talked to the guys at PAW before, but they didnt seem to know much more than me. I've always meant to call comp, but never got around to it. Just wanted to hear if anyone here had any experience.

5. Scotch

Scotch

Compare it to the Ford Racing cams for the 5.0 (302). It's not out of bounds, but it'll be lopey. The heads you've got aren't great. The cam is a little big, but it'll work. If this is just a "fun" car, it'll be fine.

~Scotch~

6. squirrel

squirrel

I agree, the cam is about one size too big, but should work ok anyways.

7. FWilliams

FWilliams

Thats the same specs as the SPEED PRO #cs1020R ........I have had great luck with that cam in mild street builds with the early heads.... I think they rated that cam at 1500 to 4500...and it had a very nice idle to it..... not harsh at all...I think you will be happy with it.

Fred