Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine dies when cold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. I feel like I should know whats wrong here but it actually has me kind of stumped. The issue I am having is that in the mornings when I am driving my truck it wants to die when you accelerate of a stop. I have a 292 y-block with a rebuilt 600 cfm edelbrock carb with electronic choke. I usually let my truck warm up for about 5 minutes in the morning, I noticed that the temp gauge doesn't show the engine as warm but by that point it is idling pretty smoothly. I can back the truck out of my driveway just fine, and it idles in gear just fine. But, when you give it gas it wants to die. I've learned how to feather the gas pedal just so as to keep it from dieing but it does this until the truck is fully warmed up (about 5 minutes of street driving). Any ideas?

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

ummm...
    It's cold! And I hate electric chokes too. Every one I've ever had has given me grief or worked incorrectly. In your case, it sounds like it's either opening too fast or you could possibly have a thermostat hanging open a bit and it's taking longer to heat up than it should.

3. haha ok... But how long should I really let it warm up? This is california, when I say its cold in the morning I mean it's like 60 degrees... :D

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

That doesn't matter much to an engine, it's operating temp is nearly 200*. It might as well be 30*. It could be a lot of different things... if the engine is out of tune (ie, lean idle mixture, base timing off, timing not advancing, etc...) It will contribute to your problem. :cool:

5. Hightone111

Hightone111

Junk the Edelbrock

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yeah...:rolleyes:

7. haha yeah I really want a holley but funds are short right now. I do think the choke opens way to quickly, i will try adjusting that and see how it works.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well first off you have way too much carb for a Y block ! You need a 450 to 570 tops .
    Next get a carb that is worth running . Have had good luck with a Holley 570 .
    Really first off after you do the other things I suggested , use a hand choke ! The choke is not closed enough and since it's "Cold" it won't take the fuel .

But really the carb is way too big and get a hand choke and you will never have a choke problem again !

Retro Jim

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  9. It was a "hand me down" carb. My stock carb crapped out and this one was hanging around so I used it. I would really like to get a lesser cfm holley and put the hand choke back in. Thanks.

10. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

11. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Choke pulloff pulling it open too much maybe? How good a stream is the acc pump squirting? Could be working but weak. On hot engine it won't stumble but on cold one it could. Or choke needs adjusting. You can also adjust acc pump timing maybe what it needs is to come in a little quicker

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  12. 61falcon

61falcon

i cant believe all the edelbrock haters. i ditched my holley and got an edelbrock and my car starts and runs perfect. i have a manual choke on mine though, i prefer them over electric chokes. i havent checked but can you remove the electric choke and install a manual choke? it gets cold around here in the fall, 40's overnight. i pull the choke, hit the gas and start it. let it idle for 5 or 6 minutes and off i go.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't think the carb is too big at all. Sounds like it maybe needs a tad bit more accelerator pump. JMO. Plus a lot of the older engines use to like to run with the choke at 3/4 or maybe a tad bit more open. They will usually suck the choke all the way open with WOT. If anything it may be jetted a bit small. Lippy

14. carbking

carbking

The major issue is the electric choke. This article offers some explanation:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automaticchokes.htm

A secondary issue (probably) is that the e-clones are calibrated for Chevrolet engines. A Ford engine requires an entirely different calibration.

A third issue is carburetor size. While a 625 CFM (not a misprint) can work well with a high performance 292, it can have low RPM issues until the engine is up to normal operating temperature; especially without a choke.

Suggestions:

(A) a carburetor more suited to your engine

OR

(B) at least change to a manual choke.

Jon.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Yepp.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

There have been problems with the Edelbrock carbs vapor locking in the heat . I have seen many of these carbs having the same problem . With the Ethanol crappy gas we have , it vapors due to the 10% mix and causes problems starting when the the engine is warmed up and it's hot outside .

I would recommend a Holley 570 Street Avenger . I rebuild Ford engines and since I have been using them , I have had much happier customers . The ones with the Edelbrock carbs have been having problems starting when hot . The other thing we discovered is that if you install a ABS 1" spacer on them , it cures most of the problems keeping the carb base plate cooler .
    Just my opinion !

Retro Jim