Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Assembly Lube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MainProp, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Does anyone have an opinion on what is the best engine assembly lube for long term storage of rebuilt motors? At this point, I really don't know how long it will be before I fire my motor (`57 Chevy Stovebolt). Any advice would be awesome.
    Thanks.

2. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

if it is in the car. take and fire it up and run some water threw the motor, have to do this verry slowly, and then pour some tranny fluild down the car till it stalls, then put her away till your ready to use her. it sounds weird but i have seen it done and then the same motor taken out of storage 6 years later, and it fired rite up like a champ.

3. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

the water blows all the carbon out, and the tranny fluild lubes up every thing, and keeps the moisture out

4. I like moly-graphite. Also STP if your cheep. Whatever you do Don't use white greese! It will clog your engine but good! White greese does make a great gasket sealer though.

5. I have been using the CLEVITE Bearing Guard product as well as the RED LINE Assembly Lube for most of my Prof. career as a engine builder. I can guarantee you will be happy with either. Either one will allow your freshly rebuilt engine to sit until you are ready to fire. Best of luck!!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  6. I am just finishing a complete rebuild on a 261 Chevy Stovebolt. So it's out of the truck, and carbon free. It's just gonna sit on the engine stand in a bag for... ever, possibly.
    So just to specify, the lube in question is for reassembling the motor.

7. That's what I do also. I usually use STP if I'm going to fire one soon like within the yrear but if not then the moly graphite grease is what I use.

8. krooser

krooser

My Hemi has been sitting for four years... for kicks I looked at the cylinders thru a bore scope a few weeks ago and they look perfect... the only thing I used to lube it up was a several squirts of ATF and I cranked it over by hand a few times...

9. I went to my local machine shop (Selby & Sons, Santa Rosa, CA) and they recommended some stuff he buys by the gallon. He said he'd order me a tube. I forget the name of it, but it looks like really thick ATF. He said it would work excellent for short or long term storage. Thanks for all the input.