Register now to get rid of these ads!

EMS Sheetmetal spare tire well.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grf-x, Aug 4, 2012.

1. grf-x

grf-x

I have a 51 ford and i just purchased a stock size tank. I wanted to still have the spare tire well in the trunk. The well was rotted out. So i purchased a repop from EMS. Well seems like (for tooling cost reasons). They sell the same part for both chevy and ford.

Anybody install an EMS automotive spare tire well repop. Just got mine in the mail yesterday and dropped it into the stock location. Fitment is WAY off. It is way to small. The tire fits in it, it is just too narrow for the stock hole. Not enough flange overlap to spot weld it in. Maybe an 1/8th of an inch on the sides. Front and back no problem.

Suggestions or solutions. my welding skills are a bit shitty.

2. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

EMS is on here all the time, perhaps they'll chime in. But, if it's a 1/4" too narrow, you'll have really no choice but to fill in the gaps. I've used EMS's stuff on my '51 chevy and I've always found their panels to be *oversized* so I'm surprised to hear this.

What did EMS say when you contacted them?

3. grf-x

grf-x

NOt contacted em yet... it being saturday I assumed they were closed. I will try calling 'em. I hear most of their stuff is oversized so you can trim to fit. But I have read 1 post hear and several on another board that the spare wheel well is the same product for chevy and ford. All the shoe box owners had the same problem. LEt see what ems says.

Thanks.

***UPDATE***
    Called an left a message with some one who came in to make parts. Poor guy. There was no one there to answer my questions. Hopefully I will hear from some one on monday.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. grf-x

grf-x

Well got ahold of them. They admitted to it be the same part and part number for chevy and ford and that I would have to fab a fix of my own.

Lesson learned to all. Don't buy it unless you are shit hot at sheet metal solution or you have some one who is. It won't be a problem if your not trying to drop it into a stock hole.