Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Emergency Brake..??..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilmann, Dec 30, 2018.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Maybe this would be an opportunity to hear from the experts about the differences between a park brake and an emergency brake.

I am of the opinion that some brakes will only ever be any good as a restraining brake which is basically only applied to hold a stationary vehicle in position.
    I feel an example of a park brake would be that on a Jaguar IRS.

Whereas, I believe an emergency brake albeit no comparison to usual brakes but is a brake that will offer a chance to slow down and possible stop when applied.
    I feel an example of an emergency brake would look a lot like what we usually find in rear drum brakes.

I'd be curious to read what other folks opinions are in this regard???

lilmann and olscrounger like this.
  2. it is a matter of when they are being used. it is a parking brake when parking. when every other form of stopping has failed.......it is an emergency brake.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also: http://www.tsmmfg.com/Drive_Shaft_PB/pinionmountedpar.html

If you have a fixed transmission yoke, and are creative, you can put one on the transmission, instead.

lilmann likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I tend to disagree with your assertions. For one thing, you do not offer any support for your contention that the drum style E-brake is any more powerful or durable than the Jag disc brake application.

But more to the point, the very name of an 'emergency brake' implies it's use only in the less likely case, as compared to regular service brakes, that it will be required to stop the vehicle one time if/when the service brakes are inadequate or fail altogether. Sort of like a fire extinguisher need not be a full fire suppression system to deal with an 'emergency'.

Still, the e-brake does need to have some degree of utility to be worthy of the name and, in fact, perform the needed service.

lilmann, olscrounger and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. They are not hard to fit and if they are more of an extra to your build ask yourself why do car manufacturers ALLWAYS install them!! E-Brake or Park Brake, right there are TWO reasons to have one. JW

fiftyv8, lilmann and Hnstray like this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I used the Jaguar park brake example as I consider that using it in an emergency last resort stop situation at speed would probably just see it wrenched out of its mountings and a mechanical lever on a disc brake would also be seen as ineffective.
    Saying that, my comments were meant to provoke comment and thought...

lilmann likes this.
  7. See my previous post. As said there it’s semantics.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lilmann likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have tested the mechanical disc on the pinion of my heap many times. It will certainly hold it in a parking situation but it will not lock up the rear wheels, nor even come close. More like the average slowing speed when one approaches a stop sign. Being the same basic shape as a hydraulic caliper I suppose the lever ratio could be increased.

Seem to remember as a youth we used to slam on the E brake on standard drum systems, lock up the rear wheels and slide sideways. But that was long ago, haven't tried it lately. ;)

lilmann likes this.
  9. If we are staying traditional that means drum brakes, which also means that they apply the same with the emergency brake so yes they probably will lock up. If we get away from traditional then drum in hat or integral Park brake systems were never designed to stop the vehicle, just keep it from rolling away. After about 1967 when tandem master cylinders came about they quit being emergency brakes and became parking brakes. Should it lock up the wheels? All depends on what style.

lilmann likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good point. I should change to a tandem MC, one of those areas where traditional gives way to safety for a lot of us. Now I have matching brake and clutch MCs and have hesitated to change it around.

brake.jpg

lilmann likes this.
  11. Nothing wrong with a single pot master, they worked for years

lilmann, F-ONE and RICH B like this.
  12. Most things work well till they don't and with nothing left to at least slow you somewhat you are in the sh!t. I cant believe there is argument to not install one. JW

lilmann, mad mikey and fiftyv8 like this.
  13. I’m not saying it’s a terrible idea to install one but you are not guaranteed to die if you have a properly working single master system. Besides if you have a functioning emergency brake you should be good.

lilmann likes this.
  14. Cant go fast if you can't stop. I wanted an ebrake on my car for sure. It really comes in handy with a manual transmission. I learned my lesson on my last build not having one. It's hard to park on hills and not worry about your ride. Install one. It's pretty easy these days with the Lokar kits and cables. Here's mine. (Lokar cables) Close by and easy to grab. Anyone know what these came off of originally? I love the looks of it. IMG_1491.JPG

lewk, lilmann, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  15. jazz1

jazz1

I have working parking brake in all vehicles
    My neighbour had his ‘32 coupe idling in garage, no parking brake. The car rolled out his garage and hit retaining wall.

lilmann likes this.
  16. Garpo

Garpo

I know some manufacturers called them "emergency brakes", but they really are only feeble compare to the main system. So should be thought of as "park brakes". That said, in a tight spot any help is welcome.
    Way down here we have to have working park brakes by law - and it is tested every 6 or 12 months depending on the class of vehicle. Horns lights and wipers are also tested.
    Garpo

lilmann and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since it is such a litigious world out there, most manufacturers spend considerable effort to minimize the potential liability that could be claimed through implied/inferred meaning or carelessly worded information.

Calling an auxiliary brake mechanism 'parking' vs 'emergency' brake would be a good example of managing the semantics and limiting the expectations and/or claims of the 'consumer' when something goes awry. It also shifts some responsibility to the operator to use the device as recommended and routine maintenance thereof. If it has a secondary potential benefit, but one not claimed to be it's main purpose, the consumer still gets the benefit of that but without excessive expectations.

As for them being 'feeble'......think of them in the same way you might consider carrying a fire extinguisher. You ordinarily do not outfit your street driven vehicle with a full fire suppression system befitting a Fire Brigade's pumper or ladder truck. A hand held fire extinguisher is ordinarily seen as a first line of defense to deal with an 'emergency' and hopefully eliminate or minimize it's affects.

Total brake system failure is, I believe, quite uncommon in modern production vehicles and also well constructed specialty vehicles.......still, it can and does occasionally happen. Having even a 'feeble'
    backup system would be a welcome device when that happens.....IMO.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Fordors, F&J, lilmann and 3 others like this.
  18. More info please, the cost of rear disc brake assemblies with a parking brake is astronomical.
    What is this kit you speak of?

lilmann likes this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

See posts 60 and 63

lilmann likes this.
  20. Thank you.

lilmann likes this.
  21. Cary a rock put it in front down hill, in back uphill.

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, gotta fab mine

23. Just wondering how an Insurance Firm would view that (rock) as "Automotive Hardware" in a claim. JW

24. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

This is the system I have in my manual transmission 48 F1. Required in my State and NSRA approved.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  25. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ain't saying you don't need an E brake but consider this for parking. Auto parking pawls have a huge factor of safety. They are sufficient to hold a vehicle even on very steep grades. This is a functional test that the OEMs conduct. I participated in one at GM on an incline you would have a hard time walking.

I hate to admit it but I don't have a parking brake on my manual trans coupe. I just put it in 1st gear to park.

26. spanners

spanners

If I'm driving my '53 Dodge with manual 'box, the park brake goes on before turning off the key. If driving my wife's 2016 auto shopping trolley, the park brake goes on and holds it on a hill before putting into Park. I got my licence here in Australia in 1974 and you had to apply the park brake as you pulled into a parking spot and it was the last thing released when pulling away. Auto or manual, still had to be done. As far as I know it's still required. Before dual circuit systems they are emergency brakes, dual circuit systems they refer to them as parking brakes.

olscrounger and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. If nothing else, you could always install a Hurst Line Lok.

28. lilmann

lilmann

Not sure if my memory is accurate but the line lock instructions say “not to be used as a permanent brake”....I believe it has to do with losing electrical/battery and the line lock device opening back up which releases pressure...???.....don’t quote me on that!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Thats probably true. I didn't even think about that.